Bracket to Determine Best UVA Basketball Game

Yup no brainer here

3 Likes

I was a second-year and remember watching this game on TV with a bunch of friends, it was awesome. I also love that simple “V” on the shorts! I love the V-Sabre but I like that old school “V” for a change of pace.

1 Like

There were just all around some great unis in the 80s and 90s

1 Like

Today’s second matchup is between the Elite Eight win over BYU in 1981 and the 1992 win against #4 UNC.

The 1992 season saw struggles for Virginia, as the the program transitioned from the leadership of fourth year Bryant Stith, to the first year class of Junior Burrough and Cory Alexander. The team’s biggest win of the regular season came at home versus North Carolina on January 19th, as the Cavs pulled away 86-73 in U-Hall. While the team missed the NCAA tournament, they made a run in the NIT and took home the championship against Indiana in Madison Square Garden. Mr. @DFresh11 got any thoughts on this game?

In 1981, Virginia made its first run to the Final Four led by Ralph Sampson, Jeff Lamp, and Lee Raker. In the Elite Eight, the 'Hoos met BYU on March 21st and came out on top 74-60. Sampson scored 22 and grabbed 12 boards. Jeff Lamp scored 18, and three more Cavs hit double figures (Jeff Jones, Othel Wilson, Lee Raker) as the Virginia basketball program captured its biggest win yet.

• 1992 vs #4 North Carolina
  • Elite Eight 1981 vs BYU
0 voters
1 Like

@DFresh11 gets the picture feature here :eyes:
and my vote for this matchup even tho the other one sounds like such a great and monumental game

2 Likes

thanks B. I went with BYU game too

2 Likes

Funny how memory works cause I think I remember that BYU game as a kid better than our UNC game as a player; I wasnt even a UVa fan yet just loved basketball. Cant believe am going against my team and guys in this pick but thought that BYU game was huge to go to Final 4. Pretty sure they had Danny Ainge then too

3 Likes

Can we talk about the shape up on @DFresh11 my boy is sharp. He might of got that edge at Rose Hill Barber shop

hahahahaha. we used to go to some guy over by Wayside named Bobby. next to @DurtyNellys spot.

1 Like

No doubt. That’s impressive right there. Didn’t think a boy outta Tennessee would keep it fresh like that. Well done.

1 Like

my man. everybody kept a fade back then. Chris Havlicek always kept it tight

2 Likes

No doubt the fade was real back then. Got to keep it fresh

1 Like

This matchup is between the 1976 ACC Championship game versus UNC and the 2020 win over #5 Florida State.

In 1976, 33 year old Head Coach Terry Holland was in his second year in Charlottesville, and the 'Hoos generally struggled in regular season play. Finishing 4-8 in ACC play, they entered the seven team ACC Tournament as the six seed. They knocked of #19 NC State in the first round, then beat the hosts of the tournament, #9 Maryland, to set up a contest with #2 UNC in the ACC Championship game. Behind Wally Walker’s 21 points and Billy Langloh’s five free throws in the final 30 seconds, the Cavs came out on top 67-62, securing the program’s first ACC Title and first NCAA tournament bid. Walker was named ACC tournament MVP. That team would go on to lose to Depaul in the first round of the NCAA tournament. While they had little success in the NCAA tournament, this was the program’s biggest win yet and set the stage for the program’s rise in the late 20th century and the establishment of a history of success.

Only two months ago the Virginia Cavaliers found themselves in the midst of a rough stretch. They’d lost 4 of their last six games (including three in a row at one point) and were in desperate need of a big win. They got their chance with the #5 FSU Seminoles coming to town. Despite losing in Tallahassee only thirteen days previously, the 'Hoos were victorious this time, 61-56. Mamadi Diakite finished with 19 points and 9 rebounds, while Kihei Clark had 15 points and 4 assists. This victory would spark a magical seven week run for the Cavs, as they won 11 of their last 12 games, with the only loss coming to a highly ranked Louisville team, on the road, by seven points. While this team never got to prove itself in postseason play, their turnaround to finish 2nd in the ACC was remarkable, and I’m certain we would have seen similar performances in tournament play.

• 1976 ACC Championship vs UNC
  • 2020 vs #5 FSU
0 voters
2 Likes

Here’s a great write-up looking back on the 1976 team’s run on virginiasports.com:

4 Likes

The 76 ACC Championship is very special to me. My first big win as a Hoo fan and bragging rights especially toward the bunch of Tar babies I had to deal with practically every day.

4 Likes

very cool

2 Likes

Not a big deal, but FWIW, pretty sure Ralph was a second year in the 1981 Consolation Game. As a first year, he led the Hoos to the NIT title in 1980. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yup, you’re right! Thanks for the correction! My bad there

2 Likes

Next we have the 2007 win over #8 Duke against the 1993 victory over #3 Duke.

In 2007, Virginia split the ACC Regular Season title with North Carolina, winning their first share of the title in 12 years. A key win in ACC play was at home against #7 Duke on February 1st, when the Cavs upset the Blue Devils in overtime. J.R. Reynolds led the way wih 25 points, including 10-11 from the line. Sean Singletary was the hero though, scoring 17 and hitting the game winning buzzer beater to put the 'Hoos over the top, 68-66 in overtime. It was a signature win, and one of the most entertaining in Virginia basketball history, even warranting the creation of this signature t-shirt: https://virginia.lockerroomaccess.com/product/singletary-the-look-tee/

In 1993, Virginia actually swept Duke, including the last win in Durham in 25 years against a Coach K coached Duke team (Coach K missed the majority of the 1995 season, including Virginia’s win in Durham). The '93 team was led by second years Cory Alexander and Junior Burrough, while upperclassmen Cornell Parker, Ted Jeffries, and @DFresh11 provided a veteran presence and secondary scoring. They came out on top of the Blue Devils 77-69, and would go on to the Sweet Sixteen after upsetting #14 Massachusetts, before then losing to #7 Cincinnati in the Sweet 16.

• 2007 vs #8 Duke
  • 1993 vs #3 Duke
0 voters
1 Like

These 2 were a close call but the presence and play of @DFresh11 put that game over the top.

3 Likes