I will take this game all the way

3 Likes

thanks man. I had a big game that day

4 Likes

@DFresh11 gets my vote

1 Like

Big B!

3 Likes

should also mention (now) Coach Jason Williford that day in Cameron. He had great overall game and it really turned the corner for him in his career (my opinion). Also to sway voters we went into Cameron and drilled em. Small difference than being at home hahahah

5 Likes

what happens in tie? we go OT?

2 Likes

Weā€™ll leave it up for the next few days, as we are with all the first round matchups. If itā€™s tied when we go to close all the first round polls, Ben and I will come up with some sort of tiebreaker that, or weā€™ll just open a new poll with the same games and see if the results change.

2 Likes

The next matchup is the 1981 Sweet Sixteen win over Tennessee vs the 1995 victory against #2 North Carolina.

In 1981 Virginia rose to national prominence, finishing 13-1 in the ACC and only losing twice in regular season play. After losing in the conference semifinals, they entered the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed, and earned a first round bye. In their first contest, they beat Villanova 54-50. Following that victory, they met a Tennessee team led by future NBA All Star Dale Ellis. Ralph Sampson had a poor outing, finishing with only 9 points on 4-13 shooting. But after a close first half score of 27-26, Jeff Lamp got it going in the second and finished with 18 points as the Cavs extended their lead to 14 and won 62-48 and advanced to the Elite Eight for the first time in school history. Theyā€™d go on to win that game against BYU, but would fall to UNC in the Final Four.

On February 19th, 1995 the 'Hoos met UNC in Charlottesville in the midst of a five game win streak that saw them jump near the top of the ACC standings. With 3 of their last five games coming against the three other teams in the title race (not including a game @ #24 GT, and vs in state rival VT), the Cavs had to pull off something special to get their share of the title. By beating #2 North Carolina 73-71 in UHall, Virginia got off to a fantastic start. Harold Deane led the way with 28 points, including two massively clutch free throws after driving to the hoop and drawing a foul with the game tied at 71-71 with 4.2 seconds remaining. Deane sunk both cleanly, and after multiple timeouts from Dean Smith, Jason Williford stole the ball off the North Carolina in-bounds pass, and the Virginia faithful stormed the court. Virginia would go on win a share of the ACC title that season, and advance to the Elite Eight.

• 1981 Sweet Sixteen vs Tennessee
  • 1995 vs #2 UNC
0 voters
1 Like

Hereā€™s the full game vs UNC: 02/19/1995: #2 North Carolina Tar Heels at #16 Virginia Cavaliers - YouTube

2 Likes

And hereā€™s an article detailing the '81 teamā€™s run: 1981 NCAA Tournament: The One Time Ralph Sampson Took Virginia To The Final Four | thesportsnotebook.com

3 Likes

Next up weā€™ve got the 2014 ACC Championship game vs Duke and the 1990 victory over #4 Duke.

Virginiaā€™s first ACC Tournament Championship since the bicentennial was as sweet as it could be. Malcolm Brogdon scored twenty-three against the Blue Devils, and Joe Harris added fifteen to lead the ā€˜Hoos on offense. Defensively, Akil Mitchell put in the defensive performance of a lifetime against Duke star freshman Jabari Parker. Mitchellā€™s relentless attention forced Parker to settle time and time again. While Parker would score twenty-three points, he shot an ugly 9-24 from the field, good for just 37.5%, and the Cavs came out victorious 72-63. More than anything, this win announced Virginiaā€™s re-emergence at the top tier of college basketball.

On February 8th, 1995 took on Duke for what would be the final time under Coach Terry Holland. The team generally struggled that season, finishing 20-12 and 5-8 in ACC play. But they still made a run to the ACC Championship game, and still won a game in the NCAA Tournament. But, led by Bryant Stith and John Crotty, the Cavs got their biggest win of the season versus Duke, coming out on top 72-69.

• 2014 ACC Championship vs Duke
  • 1990 vs #4 Duke
0 voters

Hereā€™s the full 2014 ACC Championship game:

6 Likes

talk about a blowout!

4 Likes

@brogdonfanpage ,Just wanted to say thanks for putting that game up to watch. Perfect way to spend Saturday night .That UVA team was loaded with talent. I sure miss Anthony Gill and his style of play. I love his play around the basket and he could easily cost the other team foul trouble time and time again. Iā€™m not sure how many foul shots he had but it had to be close to 20. Thatā€™s one thing UVA needs to improve on. We donā€™t get 20 foul shots a game as a team anymore

4 Likes

AG took 17 free throws that game. Malcolm took ten. Youā€™re exactly right.

6 Likes

And Iā€™m glad you enjoyed that! Thatā€™s what this bracket idea is all about, taking trips down memory lane to reminisce and remember these great times for UVa fandom

5 Likes

Exactly. I havenā€™t commented but Iā€™ve enjoyed this thread for just that reason. I had forgotten all about some of these games from years back.

5 Likes

Just watched the second half. That was a real TEAM. Those guys all did their parents and perfectly knew how to complement each other.

5 Likes

their parts i meant

2 Likes

Next up weā€™ve got the 2019 Final Four contest with Auburn versus the 1993 win over #7 Duke.

In the programā€™s first Final Four appearance since 1984, Virginia tipped off against an Auburn team that had already upset Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas. It was a back and forth battle all night, and despite leading by ten points in the final minutes, the ā€˜Hoos allowed Auburn back into the game. In fact, the Tigers were even leading by four points with eight seconds remaining. A clutch three from Kyle Guy with 7.1 seconds left cut the lead to one, before Kihei Clark fouled Jared Harper, Auburnā€™s 83% free throw shooter. Fortunately, after making the first free throw, Harper missed the second, and Ty Jerome took off up court with time running out. Before he could get anywhere, Auburn intentionally fouled him. Forced to in-bound the ball in the back-court, Clark passed the ball in to Jerome who was fouled again with 1.5 seconds left. The Cavs ran Bennettā€™s fabled ā€œLā€ play, and Kyle Guy caught the ball in the near corner, and got the three off with time to spare. The ball clanked off the side of the rim, but the refereeā€™s whistle pierced through the Auburn fansā€™ premature celebration, and signaled that Guy had been fouled, sending him to the line for three free throws with the score at 62-60, and giving the 'Hoos a chance to move on to the National Championship. Three shots and one Bruce Pearl timeout later, Virginia had its longest tournament run in program history.

On February 18th, 1993, Virginia looked for its first season sweep of Duke since 1983. With Duke star Grant Hill out injured, the Cavs were poised for an upset that night in UHall. What ensued was a game that Virginia faithful fifteen years in the future would appreciate. By winning 58-55, Virginia held Duke to its lowest point total since 1982. Duke shot 35.9% from the field.It was a back and forth contest, including 13 lead changes and seven ties. Afterwards, Coach Jeff Jones commented that ā€œI donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever felt as good aboutā€¦an offensive performance, that was as ugly as that one wasā€ as the Wahoos eked out a 3-point victory.

• 2019 Final Four vs Auburn
  • 1993 vs #7 Duke
0 voters