Caffaro dealing with a deep thigh bruise

Bennett mentioned during his press conference that Francisco Caffaro has a deep thigh bruise that required a “procedure”. He had been seen around with crutches a couple weeks ago, so that explains it. Doesn’t sound all that serious but could leave a very short bench for the opener, especially if Shedrick opts for the redshirt.

3 Likes

Caffaro has had a hard time staying heAlthy. I think this makes it very unlikely Kadin redshirts

Wait… a “procedure” for a deep thigh bruise?

A deep thigh bruise is a contusion of the quads. There’s no “procedure” – just RICE.

When I hear “procedure” I think surgery. Is that what Bennett means?

If he’s having surgery, then it’s probably because of complications from not treating it properly, not because of the deep thigh bruise itself. Some of the complications, like myositis ossificans, a pooling of blood that eventually calcifies into a bony mass in the injured muscle, or compartment syndrome caused by excessive muscle swelling, can require surgery.

If he’s having surgery for one of those complications, he won’t be playing for a good long time. Or does “procedure” mean something like ultrasound therapy?

1 Like

Going back to the video. Tony said he’s recovering from a knee to the thigh, had to have a procedure to relieve some things.

13:00 mark

1 Like

Just guessing: endoscopic fasciotomy to relieve swelling?

1 Like

That’s kind of what it sounded like to me, possibly for compartment syndrome. And as you point out that would be several months of recovery. But Tony’s words and demeanor at his press conference did not seem to imply a long recovery process for Caffaro, so I’m hopeful that Tony’s description of the injury and procedure was a little loose. One of the local UVA sports writers went in a completely different direction and described it as a knee injury that required minor surgery. While I’ve been speculating that Caffaro will get less than 10 minutes a game this season regardless, I’d hate to see him miss any playing opportunities that might otherwise be available to him.

2 Likes

Yeah, curious. Bennett has never been particularly forthcoming about injuries (not that he should be). And I don’t put any stock in what sportswriters say about injries – he might have heard Bennett say “he took a knee to his thigh” and wrote that up as “knee injury”.

Bennett’s intentionally vague term ‘procedure’ could mean anything from open heart surgery to a witch doctor burning incense and chanting, “Unholy demons, leave Papi’s leg!”

But if Caffaro essentially spent a few days on crutches after a ‘procedure’ and is now practicing, that “procedure” had to be something really minor.

Armchair internet medical diagnosis is worth what you pay for it, of course.

1 Like

He has the best witch Dr in the business. Ethan Saliba!

2 Likes

I’m not sure Caffaro is practicing yet. This from Chris Horne’s article on media day, “Francisco Caffaro took a deep knee to the thigh and is currently out. Coach Bennett said the 7’0” Argentinian had to have a procedure to ‘relieve some things.’ A timetable for his return is not in place…” Might make the Shedrick redshirt more iffy. One thing going for Shedrick is that he looks a lot bigger than Huff did his freshman year, even if the coaches are saying he still needs to add strength. But ultimately I’m guessing that CTB is going to encourage Shedrick to redshirt because the coaches are willing to go with Diakite and Huff and have Key and McKoy playing some additional minutes at the “4” while they wait for Caffaro to return.

1 Like

Best in the business!

1 Like

Game notes have Caffaro ruled out tomorrow, and says Kadin Shedrick is expected to redshirt. I guess there’s some wiggle room with 'expected".

That leaves us with 8 eligible scholarship players for now. 4 guards (Clark, Stattmann, Morsell, Tomas), 3 forwards (Mamadi, Huff, McKoy) and one hybrid Key. We should see them all tomorrow.

2 Likes

Nice catch. 8 scholarship players is definitely thin. Though it’s worth noting that the rotation has been 8-deep in non-blowout games for the last two seasons, so if all 8 are trusted with playing real minutes, it won’t feel as thin. It makes playing a conference game to start really interesting, because rotation-wise, I imagine we should get a little bit more insight about who the staff trusts in high-stakes minutes currently a lot earlier than normal.

2 Likes

I get the discourse but Austin Katsra is on scholarship as well and my guess is will contribute in certain situations this year.

2 Likes

That would be great to see. He could likely hold his own as a 4 in certain situations. Has a little bit of range to at least not be a detriment to the team offensively. Don’t know about defense, though he’ll likely know the system pretty well at this point.

3 Likes