Catching up with #1 Lax Recruit + UVA first year Connor Shellenberger

Connor has a pretty fascinating story. Originally a Johns Hopkins commit, he’s a Charlottesville native who grew up going to UVA lacrosse games.

This is the first feature I’ve written, would love any feedback (positive and negative!) you have. Have a couple more pieces like this in the works, next one should be about Payton Cormier, another lax guy. Trying to provide some coverage of the spring sports, despite the cancellations.

7 Likes

Nice summary of the trajectory of Shellenberger’s career. I learned a lot about a player who could well be the face of UVa lacrosse in 2-3 years. It turned out to be very wise to redshirt (even though he wouldn’t have lost a year of eligibility anyway) as it allowed him to gain more experience at midfield during practiice in case he doesn’t fill Kraus’ position in the attack.

2 Likes

That was a great piece. Incredibly well written, told a great story, and I learned a lot. This was a great story for many reasons. I heard back when it happened that UVA was so good that the best recruit in the nation had to redshirt, but that is all I knew. This provided so much context, and I thank you for that. I was really excited to get into spring sports this year, and learn/know about them as much as I do basketball. I’ve never been much of a lax guy, but I want to get into it. Unfortunately, that wasn’t able to happen this year, but that was pretty great too. Once again, great job

3 Likes