Class of 2022 Top 75 from Rivals

Coaches can’t even directly contact these guys until June. It’ll be late summer before there’s a fair idea of what type of players they’ll be in the market for, and then September when the actual recruiting begins. The rankings can’t be taken too seriously either. But I don’t always point out activity with young players when it happens, so here’s the names on the list that I know of some Virginia involvement with.

UVA coaches have seen Jalen Duren (2) and teammate Justice Williams (22) a lot already. They know Dug McDaniel (29) of PVI well. Speedster could be a dream Kihei replacement, if they don’t take a PG in '21. Gradey Dick (30) has mentioned UVA interest. That would be fantastic for obvious reasons. Local product Justin Taylor (45) has Hoo connections all around. The one almost certainty for '22 is UVA will be recruiting a player fitting his mold. Noah Batchelor (55) visited in September. Chances are they’ll be after a player like him too, wing with small ball 4 size. Unranked In-state product Tyler Nickel is another fitting that description. Tyrell Ward (61) from DeMatha is on the radar. Rodney Rice (64) has maybe gotten the most UVA attention of any '22 point guard. Kyle Cuffe (68) Blair teammate of Jabri Abdur-Rahim has turned their heads.

4 Likes

Just clicked on some highlights of Justin Taylor. He looks more like a senior than a sophomore in terms of body development, etc. Is he old for his grade and likely to re-classify up?

1 Like

He is well built. He’s really improved his physicality over the last year especially lateral movement. That was the one knock on him before, didn’t know if he could defend at this level. As far as I know he’s in his correct class, definitely his 2nd year of high school anyway.

1 Like

Williford was at STAB tonight watching Taylor.

3 Likes

Nelly you’re getting a shout out on twitter for that. Not gonna per source it :laughing:

2 Likes

Well his son played in the JV game beforehand. Austin Williford is in 7th grade and dunking on fools.

6 Likes

That kid is special! I saw him play and I think I might’ve even played against him last year

1 Like

. . . Oops

Here’s another one. Williford has been around Montverde a lot, and Houstan definitely fits the one thing they pretty well know they want in '22, a shooter. So I’ll buy the offer claim. Still doesn’t mean that much right now, will be a while before we know who they’ll actually recruit.

4 Likes

Williford is actually at the Montverde game tonight at the St. James (MD) Invitational. I think he was also checking out Legacy Charter (SC) '21 PG Jacobi Wright earlier who flirted with a triple double.

Defending national champions in the house @UVAMensHoops assistant Jason Williford courtside @SJIT2020 #SJIT@MonSportsNet @CoachWillyUVA @ssmgt

— BIG SH🏀TS (@BigShotsNation) February 1, 2020
3 Likes