Coach Terry Holland

I dont know if I ever met Coach Hollands nephew Gregg or otherwise. Great memory there by you especially on not getting a shot off ha

Well, I was at the game with my father. This was also the year that the two-time National High School Player Of The Year, Moses Malone, was a high school senior 90 miles southeast of Charlottesville, at Petersburg High. A UVa player told me that Bill Gibson wanted to get Malone for UVa, so Gibson brought in (talent scout) Howard Garfinkel’s recruiting report that only college coaches were permitted to subscribe to, because it had grades, and other confidential things in it. Gibson took the report to the UVa admission’s office, and told them that he wanted to know how many of the Top 100 high school seniors could qualify academically to get in to UVa.

When Gibson came back later on, he was told that none of them could qualify academically to get in to UVa. So, this former UVa player told me that that was it for Gibson. He took the open job at the University of South Florida, which opened the door for Terry Holland. :slight_smile: :grinning:

4 Likes

Never knew he went to USF. My best friend growing up in Ky’s brother was assistant at Purdue (Final 4 team Joe Barry Carroll) and coach Lee Rose of Purdue brought his staff to USF maybe after Gibson. Maybe the Dons was goood option to be semi retired in Tampa for those guys and I love the history and connections

The Bulls not the Dons!

1 Like

:sob: a great read on Coach Holland….

7 Likes