Coppin State Postgame Thread

For sure but that’s what happens when you’re the focal point of a team. Heavy is the head that wears the crown

I didn’t watch the game, opened up the box score and saw Poindexter had 14 minutes. I thought that had to be a typo. Nope!

1 Like

Torvik does all that (barttorvik.com). Net ratings start later in the year

I think Gardener is very limited by this roster construction. When he is one on one we’ve seen him score relentlessly. But you can essentially pack the paint with four with our starting lineup. And sides doesn’t let him use his agility to get past opposing bigs and get downhill.

1 Like

Lineup choices were odd. Malachi came in when Carson or Taine would have, perhaps Tony sending a message. He also had multiple starters play 30+ minutes and had the starters in late in the 2nd half. He’s clearly toying with things and sending messages that he’s not happy with how we’ve looked, but it’s frustrating watching games like this when you’re excited to see the bench get cleared early and Coppin State is hanging around.

Thank goodness for Igor because he was a huge bright spot

2 Likes

Also, did some Malachi make some news 20-25 years ago? Before Richardson, I’d never seen the name before, but now it’s completely not uncommon among college aged guys.

2 Likes

This is true, but if you struggle going beast mode against Coppin and Navy … then the value is only so high.

I think more like 2500 or so years ago

3 Likes

College basketball reference has them

1 Like

More like 40ish, but no one you’d want to name your kid afterMalachi-monster-gallery

3 Likes

I mean he put up 18/10 against Navy and drew 10 FT against Coppin with like three to four dudes on him. His production wasn’t paltry and the fouls he drew in the second half prevented (shudders) this from becoming a game.

This goes back to my main complaint against sides. It doesn’t play to the best skills for any of our main players except Franklin and Stattman. And it diminishes the skills of our other key players

4 Likes

So for the optimists of the group: short of building a time machine and going back and somehow convincing April Tony than in season Tony wouldn’t actually trust the young guys so he should add another proven guard, what is the path to making this a competitive ACC team? A NCAAT team? Short of the NCAA allowing in season trades what can TB and company even do at this point? With last year we had to shoot well and 19/20 had to play historically strong defense. This year I’m not sure there is even an answer. All I have is start by cutting down the turnovers.

2 Likes

Love this… when you limit possessions, turnovers matter that much more, but we are making careless turnovers against bad teams! Offense won’t reach its potential until they value the ball more. Not saying the ceiling is high, but it’s better than we’ve seen so far.

2 Likes

suit up?

I don’t know. It’s gonna be a looong season. Sorry, I know you asked the optimists.

1 Like

The hope is that this team is like the ‘19 team with slightly worse defense and slightly better offense. I’ve seen glimpses of really good defense and the ability to create turnovers, but they clearly need more time to gel. Definite glimpses though.

Offensively, I’m not sure what needs to be done honestly. Armaan needs to shoot better, Kadin needs to be more aggressive, Gardner needs to play better and take over at times, Kihei needs to shoot better and cut down on TOs, and Beekman HAS to make some shots. Oh, and play Igor more

4 Likes

To get to the tournament we need a couple of things:

1. Cut down on turnovers. This offense is too bad when we’re not turning it over to give up possessions

2. Need more from Carson, Taine and Igor

3. Defense needs to get better. I think this will come as it goes along

I think 3 is most possible. We have the pieces to have a pretty damn good defense out there (at least with the starters). I think 1 is possible and I am immensely skeptical on point two

5 Likes

I have spurts of optimism

1. Igor and Kadin’s growth this season
  2. Kody, Carson, or Taine taking minutes on the perimeter. Hopefully Tony’s message last night ignites a fire in the young guards.
    3)Jayden at the 5 and Kody/Igot at the 4 as HGN alluded to. If he gives up a 2 on the other end we will take that over a 3.
  3. the ACC sucks (but so do we) so maybe some confidence/momentum that helps development?
5 Likes

Yeah Turnovers are also a huge issue that maybe is addressable.

2 Likes

Great post. We definitely have the pieces defensively. Lost in the frustration of a bad start is that Kadin is everything we hoped defensively. We have a true and potentially elite rim protector and that’s huge for this defense to be successful. Couple that with strong on ball defenders like Reece and the pieces are in place we just have to get better over time and as we work in the new guys. Was always gonna take time

5 Likes

I’m in your boat lol