✂ Cuts From The Corner - ACCT!

Surprise Cuts!!!

A little different - not full recaps of both games, but quick-hitters on 10 things on my mind in the wake of the ACCT headed into the NCAAT.

9 Likes

Great write up!

My concern with the Minor minutes in the ACCT were that they may have been largely circumstantial. Feel like we’ve seen this in the past.

He only played 14 minutes of regulation against BC. And he really was given that time after Dunn picked up his 4th foul. He rode that into playing the full OT as well.

And then DJ Burns was a clear matchup issue for anyone but Minor. Which we essentially sat Minor when he Burns off the floor (which maybe was to conserve fouls - but Minor didn’t pick up his first foul until 5 min left in the 1H and his second until the 11 min mark in the 2H). Meanwhile we allowed Middlebrooks to carve us up while he sat. (Jordan did end up with 4 fouls, but only 1 in each half of regulation.)

Anyway, I guess we’ll see tonight.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you but he was good enough in those games that I think we’ll see another favorable Minor stretch that just so coincides with these games

2 Likes

TB is just not a great (situational) end of game coach. Again, what are the 42 assistants on the bench doing? We very rarely O/D in situations like that. Why was it not pounded into Kihei’s head that we had a TO left instead of just chucking the ball?

There are numerous instances like this that shows a pattern

5 Likes

Ever since reading this article on the analytics of basketball strategy (in this case fouling deliberately at the end of the half), I’ve wondered if there should be a division of labor on coaching staffs where one coach is designated to provide feedback to the head coach when these sorts of opportunities arise:

And frankly, with the addition of two more coaches to the staff, it seems straightforward to designate one to be in charge of fouling strategies and one to be in charge of offense/defense rotations. At least as suggestions for CTB to hear and consider.