✂ Cuts From The Corner - @FSU

A rare focus on officiating as it relates to any defensive concerns (I’m not right now), attacking FSU’s switch, McKneely in the midrange/around the hoop, a brief Rohde discussion and some offensive “actions.”

12 Likes

The foul issues on the road have really become ridiculous. Last 3 games 23 at FSU, 17 at Clemson (but they were only called for 11) and 22 at Louisville. I certainly hope that is reciprocated the next 2 games at home…not holding my breath.

Edit - also, that for as much as we bang on him we have a very good record with Luckie on the whistle but the other night, man

4 Likes

I will forever remember him T’ing up Coach K in the 2014 ACC Title Game, and as such do have difficulty staying mad at him even a decade later.

5 Likes

Always informative, @Cuts_from_The_Corner. I think the staff’s approach to attacking switch-everything defenses has been one of the biggest growth areas schematically in the last 6-7 years. Those used to really scare me as a fan, but now I think I worry a lot less about those defenses than ones that just try to stay connected with help and in front of us (I.e. how we would defend our selves).

2 Likes

I agree - it took a few years and having a player like Reece who not only can attack off the bounce but also consistently finish at the rim in traffic, but we have improved a lot against FSU (and teams like them).

2 Likes

Great summary of the officiating in this game. Seeing it compiled all together is insane.

I had to keep asking myself during the game whether I was letting my fandom get in the way of what I was seeing. Alas, validated.

Hope you pass it along to staff and they pass it along to the ACC gods (I assume Karl Hess is one of them).

2 Likes

The scary part is that wasn’t even all of it.

2 Likes

Interesting, my site is being linked to from eamonnbrennan.com

Anyone who has a subscription see from where and under what context? I should probably get one…

3 Likes

You’re linked in a reader’s comment on today’s Bubble Watch post. Reader says “challenging Tallahassee whistle” for Virginia. Phew, understatement. Check out this compilation. It was really jarring to watch live.

By the way, Bubble Watch and Cuts from the Corner on the same day is like basketball Christmas.

5 Likes

Thanks, much appreciated!

2 Likes

Rewatching the second half now. The problem was Lee Casell and I do think we’ve had issues with him before.

1 Like

During the first half when there was the blatant hook that Ryan got called for when he played good defense- Jaime lucky began shooshing/scolding our bench when we pointed out the OBVIOUS hook. He’s a real POS. The fix was definitely in.

The other guy whom was awful was the third ref (not Lee Cassell) who made these RIDICULOUS calls. Is there a way to know how many calls a referee actually makes? Do they track that?

1 Like

You can take the refs out of carolina, but apparently you can’t take the carolina out of the refs.

5 Likes