✂ Cuts from The Corner - Louisville

Primarily touching on the BIG 3-5 lineup and Taine Murray, with some dabbling in bad double-teaming execution and better offensive spacing/execution.

13 Likes

Can’t believe @haney hasnt sped read this and provided 1500 words of feedback yet.

With all due respect @Cuts_from_The_Corner, I can’t help but feel you are assigning a little to much “intention” to some of the lineup tweaks we saw. I know you mentioned iMac’s foul trouble, but I felt live like that basically explains why we saw Dunn shift to the 3 more so than any real tactical shift from Tony.

I also thought Bond and Eli’s appearances were more or less “on schedule” but Eli got a quick hook in 1H because Louisville immediately went zone and Tony put iMac back in for shooting, or because of anything Eli did (other than not being able to shoot).

3 Likes

It’s a real possibility, but he did mention they wanted to go big after the game and McKneely has sat a lot this year without us going that direction. That easily could have just been Taine and Rohde together or more Bond/Gertrude minutes.

This felt intentional to me re: we’re going to try this out - and, personally, I hope it sticks (at least as an option we go to from time to time rather than doing it this game and rarely seeing it again).

5 Likes

FWIW, I did bring up the Michigan game last year as an example of… we did this before, it worked well, CTB talked about it working well and then we… never did it again despite often getting killed on the interior.

So my goal isn’t to present this as a lock to be something we keep doing and I hope it didn’t come across that way.

5 Likes

I took my break from procrastination at the wrong moment.

3 Likes

Didn’t come across that way.

I think it was a little Column A, little Column B. Went to it with Isaac out and found something that worked. Whenever Harris comes back, I think Tony will become more predictable though.

A lot of folks want to harp on Dunn’s jumper or Isaac’s ability to beat off the dribble but it’s once again the lack of a true center that really creates an imbalanced roster and allows team to attack us like they do.

I know Blake is just a freshman, but he’s got such a large path to climb developmentally to become any sort of threat this year.

5 Likes

That depends on how you look at it. Clearly your priorities are not in the correct order

2 Likes

On that possession where iMac is running point in sides, I noticed his man doesn’t help at all when Taine comes off the screen, one reason why he gets all the way to the rim. Is one reason guys are always passing right back to Reece is his defender is usually sagging to cut off the drive? Also that reminds me–do we still run the boomerang in sides? Haven’t noticed seeing it in a while

1 Like

Brief reactions (promise):

• Yeah, nice twist to see RD guard the perimeter
  • Taine isn’t really great or even very good at anything on offense, but he is pretty versatile – he can shoot better than all but probably two guys on our team, and he can get to the hoop better than all but a few guys on our team, and amongst our guards/wings, two-level scoring stands out (except as against Reece). But yeah, I don’t think of him as good on defense, but your clips do show being pretty negative.
  • Thanks!
2 Likes

Thanks!

These aren’t his worst defensive clips on the season… so, I’m def down on that side of the ball.

But yeah something to look as the pros/cons if he keeps playing for chunks.

3 Likes

Haven’t read/watched the Cuts yet, just wanted to say the scissors emoji for the thread is brilliant

2 Likes

We should play Rohde more

1 Like