✂ Cuts From The Corner - @ Louisville

Shorter than normal - a look entirely at the first half. Why the defense was so good including some adjustments along with some scattered offensive highlights/thoughts.

9 Likes

Good stuff as always… agree not much to gain from the second half due to all the tinkering and the big lead.

1 Like

I like the hedge adjustment as another tool in the bag for them. Retains a little bit of the function of the hard hedge as stopping the ballhandler from turning the corner while punishing teams that are planning to slip against the hedge. And anything that gives Reece an opportunity to do some defensive playmaking is a plus in my book. Probably a good sign developmentally too that the team is executing multiple ball screen coverages in the same game, and sometimes in the same possession.

I’m trying to think about how an opponent would exploit it; I guess it’s almost like a temporary switch, so maybe a ballhandler who has pull-up threes in his bag could force a full on switch from the hedger?

1 Like

@Cuts_from_The_Corner , can I just say how excited I get seeing your content get posted? Great work week in and week out. Thanks a ton for what you do for this community.

14 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words. It’s a symbiotic relationship. I’ve valued the feedback/discussion from this site greatly.

7 Likes

It’s something we’re doing more when the ball is farther out so I think it’s a fairly safe approach. Perhaps you could start having the screener clear wide (especially if they were a shooting threat) rather than rolling to the hoop in hopes that you’d force a switch but, ideally, we’ll start making these coverages variable play-to-play so it won’t be easy to anticipate what we’ll do.

5 Likes

Great stuff Cuts!!

2 Likes

Switch ability is so crucial, especially once you make it to tournament time. Great points brought up on the styles allowing Reece and Ryan to switch at the beginning of your breakdown. Coming up, we may see some issues trying it Saturday but man oh man could it be huge Monday night.

1 Like