Diving into the shrinking 2021 recruiting board

Don’t know his game well enough to have an opinion, but why don’t you think many fan bases would be excited to get him? Seems like he is a consensus top 100 guy recruited by the top pac 12 programs

Just because he’s not a flashy, mix-tape friendly player. And some of his best highlights are heady passes.

It’s more a statement on fans looking for sizzle, not Gregg’s talents.

5 Likes

Gotcha! I only watched one highlight reel but I was excited about his range and size combined with passing ability and inside moves.

1 Like

To be fair, Trevor Keels highlights aren’t flashy either. But I think fan excitement from that comes from Tony keying in on him from day one

2 Likes

This was the scrimmage UVA would have been watching Gregg in yesterday.

3 Likes

I get that it’s highlights, but that size with outside touch, good footwork and decent handles don’t lie. No offer yet why? Because we want to let Kauffman decide first? Or it’s a weird standoff thing where we’ve made it clear we’ll offer only if he snap accepts?

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s just about evaluation. Like I said, they haven’t offered anyone the boss hasn’t seen live in-person. Gregg would be the first.

2 Likes

Covid is forcing adjustments everywhere. Pretty clear it should in this instance. Not necessarily for one guy, but in general. Guys are committing left and right and no clue when next evaluation window actually will open.

3 Likes

No needs in 2021 that cant be met in 2022. No need to rush.

2 Likes

I agree with this to an extent. Yeah there’s no need to force anything and they obviously won’t. But they definitely don’t think of it in the same terms either. It’s never about their first year, it’s about keeping players continually in the pipeline that will develop into at minimum role fillers as upperclassman. We don’t really recruit in 2021 for 2021, more for 2023. Better to have a junior then than a sophomore. Plus when you kick things back a year you’re just clogging it up and making recruiting harder for 2023 (our next big class) and beyond.

5 Likes

I see a publisher from the Rivals Michigan State site has entered a Futurecast for Keels to Villanova. Not sure of the significance. If there are any legs to it, the give away will probably be additional offers going out at some point to 2021 guards.

2 Likes

Apparently he never gets it wrong

Never is really not that long. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

You know something Z, that dudes 30/30 :thinking:

2 Likes

No way a Michigan State insider gets information that none of the UVA insiders in the DC area can’t access.

Also think if we don’t get keels that schollie goes to 2022 (or it should), and we roll with Casey, Jabri, Carson, and Murphy as our guards for 21-22’.

Weird to trust any info in this recruiting cycle given the surprises and last second momentum shifts regardless.

3 Likes

Saw Damin posted this to his story. It’s a picture of Justin Taylor working out with the caption “21?” Could this mean that Justin is thinking about reclassifying back up to I think his original class.

5 Likes

Oh my. That would be a plot twist.

Don’t really need Justin in 21, already have Carson above him who could potentially redshirt and be a 21

2 Likes

I think Taylor is a wing all the way. Carson won’t get that big. Murray might be a tweener

2 Likes