Dragon's College Football Picks Week 11 (Season 4)

Last Week 5-3
Overall 53-44-2

Chris Jericho Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

I said it last week, 5-3 never felt so bad, but hey as long as you’re winning that’s all that matters. I’m starting the week off on the right foot having taken Hoos +20.5 and over 50 last night in Louisville (check the tapes if you doubt). The Hoos have been bad on the field but they are a cash cow for me this season. Now, let’s keep the winning ways going.

Cincinnati vs. Houston Under 53.5
Two Big 12 new comers battling it out for the bottom of the conference. The Bearcats are still in search of their first Big 12 victory, sorry @AnonymooseHoo, but the Cinci offense is not great, averaging a touch over 25 ppg, but if you take out a week 1 blowout of EKU that number drops to 20 ppg. Houston is experiencing their own growing pains adapting to life in a P5. But they have squeaked out two conference wins by a combined 3 points. It won’t be pretty but the Bearcats will lumber their way along and keep this thing low scoring and close.
Under 53.5

Iowa vs Rutgers Under 28
This is insane and it’s too much fun to pass on even when my gut is telling me to skip it. The line opened at 30, but the hype train is in full swing and bettors hammered it down to 28 in most books. I’ve even seen a few remove it from the board. This is one of the ones where it feels like the hype about the under is too much, but I’m doing it. Fun note, there hasn’t been a total this low since 2000, but there have been 1,500 games with higher first half totals during that time.
Under 28

Michigan -4.5 vs. Penn State Under 45
Yes I’m taking another under, so you know one of them will miss, who wants to play 3 card monty with me to see which one misses? The Wolverines and PSU have solid defenses and they will be on display in Happy Valley on Saturday. My biggest question is can PSU find any way to put points on the board? OSU bottled them up in their meeting. Both teams like to control the ball and control the clock. This is going to be methodical throughout. I also really like what Michigan has going on. Most coaches love a “Us against the world” story and Harbaugh has the ultimate one right now with his team. Hell he’s got the entire administration backing him at this point. I think the off the field noise actually sharpens the Wolverines resolve and focus.
Michigan -4.5 Under 45

Oregon -15.5 vs. USC Over 76
Big Cover alert. For the second consecutive week I’m taking a massive over with USC. Last week the Trojans and the Huskies blew past the 76 and nearly hit 100. USC gave their defensive coordinator his walking papers for his efforts, but there’s no way they plugged the holes on that side of the ball in one week. Enter a one-loss Oregon team that is on a mission. Last week the Ducks dropped 63 on Cal and Bo Nix is getting the Heisman hype he envisioned 4 years ago when he enrolled at Auburn. Caleb Williams has put on amazing display after amazing display this season for USC, last week he went toe-to-toe with Michael Penix Jr. and with Saturday likely his last opportunity on the big stage I expect him to go down slinging.
Oregon -15.5 over 76

Washington vs. Utah Over 50
I like that Big Penix Energy. I’ve loved watching Michael Penix play this season and think what he has done is special and one of the reasons I love college football. Utah has a history of playing spoiler in these situations and I think Washington is due for an upset at some point, but even if they falter on Saturday, they’re going to score points. Utah prides itself on their defense, but the secondary is absolutely a weak spot. In addition while the Utah front can get to the quarterback they tend to bring pressure from the edge and Penix has shown an ability to step up into the pocket and make plays when that happens. When he’s pressure from up the middle he has more trouble escaping, but that’s not the Utes strength. Interesting, the line on this one is dipping, it opened at 53.5 but I think it’s setting up perfectly. The Huskies awful defense (they gave up 42 to USC last week and 33 to Stanford the week before) will give the Utes opportunities to move the ball and put points on the board, something they are adept to especially coming off a bye week where they average 40ppg in their last four games coming off a bye.
Over 50

6 Likes

Hoo had the hoos last night!!!

1 Like

The Hoos have been silly money makers this season. 4 straight covers as a dog.

6 Likes

What’s our ATS record this year? Uva football - not good, but not quite as bad as gamblers think

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing 7-3 on the year 3-1 in the last 4 ATS. Off the top of my head Ga. Tech, NC State are 2 of the loses JMU maybe the 3rd. But they’ve gotten a ton of big lines this year and generally speaking Hoos only lose by about 4ish points.

4 Likes

I ask myself that question sometimes. Glutton for punishment?? Enjoy the attention of others’ mockery? Incurable optimist?? Just plain stubborn?? Maybe.

I think I just enjoy picking the games, but there is no denying that this year has been a mess. I don’t advise that any of you actually risk money going against my picks, but I think most of you know to be very wary of them. I went 1-7 again last week and stand at 23-35-3 on the year.

OK - turning the page. Here we go!

Washington St. vs. Cal, over 59.5 What happened to Washington State? After starting off 4-0 and upsetting Oregon State in a shootout, they have lost five straight and are reeling. Last week they only managed a touchdown in a 10-7 defeat to Stanford. They should manage more than that this week against Cal, who has given up an average of 49 points in its last four. Cal is 127th in passing defense and facing a true Air Raid offense in Wash State that ranks 129th in rushing attempts per game. For its part, Washington State is 108th in total defense and is particularly susceptible to the pass. A lot of people are leaning into the USC/Oregon game for the over, but at 59.5 points, I think this is the better bet.

Colorado St. -3.5 vs. San Diego St. Oooh, a battle of 9th place teams in the Mountain West! The stats for both teams are extremely mediocre (around 100th in the nation) except for one: Colorado State is 13th in the nation in passing. San Diego State is giving up 300 yards per game in its last three road games (including one against non-passing Air Force), and averages under 200 yards passing on offense. The Rams are at home, have the only marketable skill in the game, and San Diego State is ill-equipped to come back from a deficit. Give me Colorado State.

NM St. +5 vs. Western KY hmmm. What does Vegas know that I don’t? New Mexico State has won (and covered) its last 5 games. Western Kentucky has won two, lost two, won two, lost two all season. The Hilltoppers have shown stronger at home than on the road, but NM State has a respectable 3-2 record on the road. Western Kentucky has a top-40 passing offense, but the Aggies pass defense was respectable against both Hawaii and Liberty. Plus, they should be able to keep the Hilltoppers offense off the field. The Aggies are 15th in the nation in rushing while Western is 129th against the run. I’ll take the points.

Troy vs. UL Monroe, under 45.5 Troy has given up 33 points to their last five opponents combined, and they have hit the under in 7 straight games. Monroe is no better than 85th in the country in rushing, passing, or scoring offense. Give me the under in a game that ends something like 28-10.

Florida vs. LSU, over 66.5 The Gators are averaging 33.75 ppg in last 4 (including one with Georgia). The over is 9-0 in LSU games this year. The last two games between these teams played in Baton Rouge have totaled 91 and 70. Give me the over.

Kansas St. -21 vs. Baylor Home games have been good to Kansas State this year where they are averaging a consistent 43 points per game. Baylor is 2-7 ATS this year with their most comparable matchup to K State being the week 4 matchup with Texas that they lost 38-6 at home. Baylor has the passing offense to get a backdoor cover here, but Kansas State hasn’t been a team to let up in the later stages of a game. Their last two games at home finished 41-3 and 41-0. The Wildcats still have a bad taste in their mouths from their near loss to Texas last week. Give me Kansas State in a blowout.

UNLV -3.5 vs. Wyoming This is a good match-up for UNLV. Their strength on offense is rushing and the Cowboys have the 96th ranked rushing defense. UNLV’s weakness on defense is passing, but Wyoming has only the 127th ranked passing offense. UNLV is 8-1 ATS this year and playing at home. I’m taking the Rebels

UConn +24.5 vs. JMU I think this line is over-inflated by UConn’s destruction at the hands of Tennessee and JMU’s dismantling of Georgia State last week. In general, UConn has had a similar season to Virginia – a lopsided W/L record but a majority of close games. JMU is undefeated but has won games by 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, and 3 points this year. Give me the Huskies to keep this one within 17 points

5 Likes

Keep it coming you and my guy Dragons write ups are great shit

1 Like

Next season @BDragon & @5sheff should do a more point / counterpoint picks weekly thread… make the top post a wiki thread and go at it!

3 Likes

college gameday sport GIF

seenthelight GIF by FirstAndMonday

1 Like

I like most of those picks. Nothing wrong with going a little deep cut too. There tends to be a little wiggle room in there.

I especially love the LSU Over great all. Troy has burnt me twice this year once overinflating them next time undervaluing them. The JMU UConn game is one I was interested in as well. I like your read on that.

1 Like

I wonder how someone would have done this year taking every under in the Big 10 and every over in the Pac 10?

1 Like

Good teams win great teams cover

2 Likes

B1G unders Pretty even spread really
Nebraska 55%
Maryland 44%
Illinois 33%
Indiana 33%
PSU 33%
Michigan 44%
Minnesota 55%
Purdue 44%
Northwestern 44%
Iowa 77% love those guys
Rutgers 37%
Wisconsin 62%

Not JMU, we lost by 1 and I think we were a TD dogs. Had to be Tennessee. We weren’t 30something point dogs.

2 Likes

MD, right?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I totally forgot about that Maryland game. That one got out of hand…

1 Like

Yeah, in my head we lost by 2 TDs or so.

1 Like

HA!

I ran through just the Big 10 in-conference games so far this year. There are 40 of them. Guess what? Exactly twenty overs and twenty unders.

Every team has played six conference games so far. Of those, Iowa had 5 unders and Ohio State and Wisconsin had 4 game under the total. Indiana only had 1, while all others had 2 or 3.

1 Like

Haha

Yup I was genuinely surprised by that. Right down the middle. No real outliers, we all figured Iowa would be in there with a ton of unders. Indiana has more overs than I would have guessed. PSU feasting off a bad schedule.

1 Like