Dragon's College Football Picks Week 13 (Season 4)

Last Week 4-4
Overall 64-50-2

Kevin Hart Ok GIF by NBA

Somehow managed to get to .500 last week thanks to the Hoos dominance of Duke. Now we reach the bittersweet part of the college football season. The final week, I always get a little sad. The past three months have flown by and hopefully if you’ve stuck with the Dragon for the entire trip you’ve made a few dollars I know I have. Now can I finish what I started. This week will be a bit of an experiment, with multiple big games already taking place and my mind a bit clouded from watching them. But that’s not going to scare me away from making some picks.

Iowa vs. Nebraska Under 25.5
I talked about this one over in @fivesheff Black Friday picks and it hit. I was eager to see if I could ride Iowa to five consecutive unders and they delivered in glorious fashion.
Under 25.5

Utah -20.5 vs. Colorado Over 47
Colorado is a complete train wreck. I don’t know any other way to state it. The free fall this team is facing is epic. Shout out to my guy @buzby for holding receipts on his Buffs take, he earned them. Going into the year my question was how good of a coach is Coach Prime? Can he manage the X’s and O’s to lead a P5 program. What happens to the guy who believes talent means more than culture watches his talent get beat down week after week? The Buffs have lost five in a row and now they get a Utah team that is coming off an embarrassing loss. Last time the Utes dropped an embarrassing game they responded by beating ASU 55-3. The Buffs enter the game with an offensive coordinator on his second game and Shedeur Sanders on the sideline. Colorado struggles with physicality and no one in the Pac 12 is more physical than the Utes.
Utah -20.5 Over 47

Michigan vs. Ohio State Under 46.5
The Game. This one is always one of college football’s most bitter rivalries and one that has withstood the test of time. Michigan has won two consecutive games in the rivalry and enter the game as the favorite for the first time in seven years. History says this game is high scoring. But I’m bucking that trend this year. Despite having a Heisman Trophy candidate at receiver, the OSU offense is MID. Kyle McCord does not strike fear in me. The one time he faced a top caliber defense he scored 17 points against ND and had Al Golden put 11 players on the field in the redzone they likely lose that game. The Wolverines defense is stacked, NFL level talent at every level that can scheme and slow down Marvin Harrison Jr. In the last two weeks Michigan has run the ball about 100 times and Blake Corum is pacing the unit as the only FBS player to score in every game this season. An interesting wrinkle is for as good as the Michigan Oline is with the run, they are not great in pass protection. After PSU got on UofM QB J.J. McCarthy early in their game, the Wolverines packed it in and ran the ball 30 times in the second half. Tight fought game that should be fun but give me the under.
Under 46.5

SMU -19.5 vs Navy Over 45.5
SMU runs the non P5. At 9-2 the only losses the Mustangs have taken on the season are to Oklahoma and TCU. Against the non P5, they are averaging 46 ppg. On the line for the Mustangs is a possible invite to a New Years Bowl Game. With Tulane and UTSA both undefeated in AAC, SMU must win on Saturday to keep hope alive. I like the Mustangs to handle the 19, and I tossed in the Over for a little extra sweat.
SMU -19.5 Over 45.5

Hawaii +5.5 vs. Colorado St.
It’s fitting that I started the season in Week 0 with a Hawaii game and here I am wrapping things up with the Warriors on a 11pm kick. This is an interesting one and really jumps out at me for one major reason the Rams inability to win on the road. You have to go back to September 23 against Middle Tennessee St for the last time CSU picked up a road win. That’s the sort of thing that jumps out to me when your team has to hit the road to Maui on Thanksgiving week.
Hawaii +5.5

Virginia +2.5 vs. Virginia Tech Under 53
It’s been a rollercoaster of a season for the Hoos. Everyone here knows what I’m talking about. But I honestly believe this game is far better than the record shows. I don’t believe in moral victories but that means something. I also know the culture and emotions surround this group and there is no doubt the understand the mission at hand when the walk into Scott Stadium tomorrow. The Hokies need a win to get bowl eligible which would be a major win for that group. Va. Tech has feasted on bad ACC teams this season but that ends on Saturday. The total is very wonky on this one for me both teams have the ability to put up points, but I like this one to remain tight throughout and be a competitive moderate scoring affair. There was a time when a 53 total meant something.
Virginia +2.5 Under 53

8 Likes

Any thoughts on Jacksonville State and RichRod? Likely playing for another gig? Over and cover?

1 Like

Nice deep cut CUSA game

I’ll give the ex UofM coaches credit they found life and success after Ann Arbor even if it took a while. I think Rich Rod is certainly on a few teams short lost looking ahead a win today would get Jax St to 9 wins. But NMSt is no push over riding a 7 game win streak into the game and waiting for a date with the CUSA championship next week agaisnt Liberty

Rich Rod cut his teeth using Pat White and co. In various Wildcat formations in WVU and he continues to do so with sr QB Zion Webb who is an adequate passer and a deadly runner.

The line has Jax St at -3 amd I like that. NMST is a great team but the stats around the Gamecocks is too impressive. 3rd in the nation in rushing with over 255 ypg and a stout defense only giving up 20ppg.

This has all the makings of a great game but Jax St comes out on the upside. The only question left is will Rich Rod be on the sidelines for the Gamecocks next year?

2 Likes

Conor Mcgregor Sport GIF by UFC

The final week? Sure the final week for picking games in the Sun Belt and battles between 9th place teams in the MWC. But there’s more isn’t there??

Love the Utes over Colorado and the Michigan under. I hate picking the over on games with the service academies. I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s disheartening to see the time just drain off the clock. I hope hope hope you are right about Virginia, although you said it yourself that the Hokies have dominated games like this throughout the season.

I stood 32-42-4 after last week. 3-2 on Thursday/Friday leaves me at 35-44-4. Here we go:

Texas A&M vs. LSU over 66.5 This is almost a lock every week, but this week there is the added bonus that A&M has been sneaky good on the offensive side of the ball this year. They are averaging 30 points per game across all SEC matchups. For its part, LSU is surrendering 33 points per game in SEC games, while averaging 43.

N. Illinois -19 vs. Kent State Kent State hasn’t covered in 8 straight games and have lost its last two by 30 points. Against Ball State last week, they had 97 yards of total offense and gave up 300 yards rushing. When Kent State has had any success offensively, it has been by the pass. However, Northern Illinois is top 5 in passing yards allowed and top 15 in completion percentage allowed. With Northern Illinois playing for bowl eligibility, and Kent State at 1-10 and nothing to play for, I’m looking for a blowout here.

Texas State +6 vs. South Alabama Texas State looked pretty solid through the first half of the year, but they have lost three of four, culminating with a 77-31 beatdown as the hands of Arkansas St. Arkansas St.?!? The game got out of hand after two pick sixes, a fumble for a scoop and score, and a kickoff return for a touchdown. Texas State is better than that and have won all four home games ever played against South Alabama. This South Alabama team is battle tested, having already played on the road at Tulane, Oklahoma State, James Madison, and Troy, although they lost three of those four. I expect to see a fired-up Texas State team trying to tighten up on defense, leading to a close game and possible Bobcat victory.

Tulsa vs. East Carolina under 44.5 Four of the last five East Carolina games have had a total under 30. They are playing Tulsa, losers of six straight whose only strength on offense is running the ball…defending which is East Carolina’s strength. Tulsa is nearly dead last in passing yards allowed, but East Carolina is 121st in the nation in passing. Three cheers for ineptitude and go with the under.

Arizona vs. Arizona St. under 50 Historically this game has not been tightly contested and I expect Arizona to win this one. But the line opened at 8 and I felt more comfortable there than at 12.5. I feel more confident that the Arizona State offense will remain missing in this game. The Sun Devils have put up a total of 33 points in the last three games and have three other games that they have scored fewer than 17 points. Arizona’s defense is solid and they were an Under machine earlier in the season. Last week they busted out for 44 against Utah, of all teams. I expect a return to the mean which would have Arizona scoring 24-30 points. Put that together with Sun Devil offensive misery and you’ve got yourself an under.

UNLV -2.5 vs. San Jose State I’m continuing to back UNLV as they are 10-1 ATS this year. San Jose State has won five straight, but have struggled on the road against quality teams (Boise State and Toledo). With UNLV playing for the conference title at home and giving up less than a field goal, I’m taking the favorite.

2 Likes

There’s always more and you can rest assured I’m not afraid to bet conference championship week. But I treat Bowl season like a vacation. New stats and fully expect to lose.

Especially with the new wave of guys skipping games and teams having 8 weeks to prep. Everything you know is out the window.

My favorite bowl game gambling story is in 2010ish I’m in Nola ahead of new yrs for an annual trip. @AnonymooseHoo UC Bearcats roll into town to play Urban Myers Tim Tebows Gators in the Sugar Bowl. Cincinnati was happy to be there while the Gators were pissed to be there. The Besrcats lost Brian Kelly to ND about 2 weeks earlier and their DC and OC right aftet. The Oline and DB coach was left to run the show.

Until the night before the game I’d be out on Bourbon talking sh$t and hanging with Bearcat players you didnt see a Gator outside the hotel aftet noon 4 days before the game.

I bet the house on Florida and they went out and put a smackdown on the Bearcats.

Point being a lot can happen in that 6 weeks and keeping kids focused ain’t easy and strange things can happen

2 Likes

I love the Michigan Offensive Coordinator. He should be on everyone’s short list for HC.

Just watched my under fly out the window

true, but nailed the double with SMU.

2 Likes

Heh true…

Home Alone Kevin GIF

Oh well - At least I hit the over on UVA/VT

2 Likes

2-4 on Saturday. 5-6 for the weekend. 37-48-4 for the year.

Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

2 Likes

4-5 on the week of course the Hoos blowout yesterday is what sank me.

68-54-2 on the year.

Not as great as I was hoping but I made some cash to support building the Dragon’s Lair.

Next up conference championship

5 Likes