Dragon's College Football Picks Week 3 (season 4)

Last Week 7-2
Overall 14-8

Consulting Make It Rain GIF by SHOWTIME

Here we go! Last week was a cracker as my friends the other side of the pond would say. 7-2 is a record and an accomplishment I will brag about all season. Let’s keep this momentum going and get this new house built.

Mississippi St. +9.5 vs. LSU
LSU looked awful in the opening week against FSU. The team died on the field in the second half and yes FSU is good, but they lit up the LSU defense like a Christmas tree. Last week the Tigers beat up on Grambling 72-10 but I don’t believe they’ve fixed their defense just yet. The Bulldogs have experience at QB with Will Rogers and they have a very good rushing attack that can control the line of scrimmage. More importantly the Miss. St. defense gives up over 100 yards less per game than LSU. If you can tease this up to +10 jump on it, but I think the Bulldogs can cover the 9.5.
Mississippi St. +9.5

Duke -18.5 vs. Northwestern Over 48.5
Can’t believe this is actually a game I care about rather than being the Nerd Bowl 2023. The Blue Devils are good and they have a dynamic offense led by Riley Leonard. Duke flexed their muscle against Lafayette last week dropping 42 points and they will be more than capable to do it again against Northwestern. Duke also have a opportunistic defense that forced two turnovers against Clemson and will smother Northwestern. Toss in the fact that Duke has covered ATS the last four times they played Northwester and is 19-8 ATS as a double digit favorite since 2012. I also like the over here. I’m also selfishly hoping for a good Duke team to come to Scott in November when I’m in the house.
Duke -18.5 vs. Northwestern Over 48.5

Ohio +3 vs. Iowa St.
Both of these teams are awful on offense. Iowa St. has 540 yards of offense this season! (that’s 2 games combined). Now the Cyclones go on the road to for some sweet MACtion. The Ohio Bobcats have Kurtis Rourke back for a second game after getting banged up early and I think he continues to progress into his role. This is going to be a rock fight in Athens so you may want to hit the Par 3 they have on campus for the first half and check in at halftime.
Ohio +3

Florida +6.5 vs. Tennessee
Florida is a home dog for this one and I like it. I also am seeing a lot of people hammering this line and hopefully you can catch it before the line drops. It feels like the Vols are still riding high on the hype they had from last season and yes that was a good team but even they got boat raced by the Gamecocks at the end of the year. This year’s Vols are talented but while most on this board think of the final score of the opener, I think about the first half where they looked pedestrian against a Virginia defense that gave up 36 points to JMU. This is the first proper road game for Tennessee and it’s a hostile environment with a Gators team that knows it needs to grab a big win to keep pace in the SEC.
Florida +6.5

Texas A&M vs. Louisiana-Monroe Over 53.5
The Aggies got worked last week by the Canes. Jimbo Fisher is a fraud hopefully the rest of America is onto this. That said, I do think A&M has a strong bounce back this week. These are the games that Jimbo builds his legacy on beating up on lesser teams. I think the Aggies defense will be much better and keep ULM in check, but I also think Petrino will release the hounds on offense to show why he’s getting that big check.
Over 53.5

Western Michigan +28.5 vs. Iowa
The Iowa offense is sustainable this season. They are averaging 22ppg through their first two games. That’s no minor miracle for this program. Transfer QB Cade McNamra is driving the Hawkeyes up and down the field to the tune of 315 yards and 2 TDs… Okay I’m done, this is a slightly upgraded version of Iowa but the reality is scoring points in bunches just isn’t their thing. The line opened at 28.5 and it’s dropping, I’ve seen it as low as 26, so jump on it while you can.
Western Michigan +28.5

Virginia vs. Maryland Over 47
Friday night football under the lights in College Park Md… I hate that place. I don’t need to go in depth about the kick in the teeth and the junk that four hour marathon game was last week. The Hoos have a ton to work through bouncing back from that heartache and establishing who will be the QB1 tonight. Muskett gets the start, but how healthy he is and how much of a leash does he get is yet to be seen. The Terps are 2-0 but they have beat up on weak opponents and have not looked explosive in the process, giving up 20 points to Charlotte last weekend. I don’t know what it is about this Hoos team, but I do like them they play hard and I do think the offense is capable of getting points if they sling it around and look to move the pocket. Virginia has 2 QBs who are capable of leading the charge and putting points on the board.
Over 47

5 Likes

@BDragon What’s your Over/Under on number of basketball commits over the next two weeks if the line is 1.5?

2 Likes

Great question I’d take the under if we are talking 2 weeks from today.

3 Likes

The way you slid this factoid in there…I laughed.

3 Likes

I like Ohio +3 and Florida +6.5.

I got the over on the Air Force. Utah State game, but sadly, had the Aggies plus the points.
I like Vanderbilt -5 against a UNLV team that can’t stop the run.
I don’t think Va Tech matches up well against Rutgers. I’ll take the home team -6.5.
I like Pitt and West Virginia to be under the total of 47.

2 Likes

Love the picks. The Pitt/WVU under is a great call. Along with VT-6.5

What’s your reasoning w Tech?

I’m for sure taking the under in that one. Should be rainy conditions and Rutgers should have no problem stopping Tech’s offense.

2 Likes

The under is a great call and I’d probably take both as cover. I think Rutgers offense sputters as well and Wimsatt is barely cometing 50% of his passes and VTs defense could disrupt him more and force him to turn the ba over. I don’t see Rutgers running away with this one esp. In sloppy conditions.

As of last night I heard that it was not going to be sloppy. Watched a live forecast that said the hurricane is hitting north of there. The Piscataway forecast calls for overcast skies and temps in the low 70s, winds 5-10 mph out of the northwest.

I was leaning toward the under in that game, but 37.5 is a really low number.

1 Like

Iowa st Ohio 0-0 going into the half… things could be worst.

@HoozGotNext hopefully you enjoyed the sun and kept it in the 20s on the front 9

2 Likes

haha you nailed that!

1 Like

10-7Bobcats your final in Athens.

4 Likes

Need Jimbo to go for aome BCS points and run the score up in the 4th for my over

Also hoping Iowa just sits on the ball for the kxt 3 mins

Need 1 more A&M score…

Iowa let me down shame on them for running the score up

4-3 on the weekend picked up a little cash I’ll take it.

3 Likes

Took Tech to cover. Rutgers is bad, guess Tech is extremely bad lol. Oh well, won’t be betting on them again

1 Like

Yea that game may have been my biggest surprise of the day. Rutgers has a history of burning me. And I’m realizing my gauge on Tech is off too. I thought they’d be more together this year

1 Like