Dragon's College Football Picks Week 6 (Season 4)

Last Week 5-4
Overall 29-19

Hustling Pay Day GIF

Last week was a bit of a rushed week with my travels and birthday celebrations but that didn’t stop the money train from rolling. 5-4 on the weekend thanks to the the hook with the Hoos. I’m not 4-1 on Virginia games this season crazy at least there’s a small silver lining to this season. Fire up the pottery wheel and call Whoopie Goldberg cause these picks are a bout to be ghost.

Cal +9.5 vs. Oregon State
The Pac 12 has been a bit of a gold mine for me this year and I’m dipping back into those waters again this weekend. Cal has a solid defense under Justin Wilcox and his teams seem to thrive as a dog. Oregon State pulled the upset/not upset last weekend and I think they have a letdown this week. Plus D.J. Uiagalelei, is who we thought he was, four interceptions in the last three weeks and a 50% completion rate of his passes in that span. Not good.
Cal +9.5

Oklahoma +5.5 vs. Texas
I love this rivalry it just does it for me. Maybe that 9 months I lived in Oklahoma have left a lasting impression on me. The Longhorns are desperate to show the world they are back. The Sooners are revamping after a slightly down season. It’s not surprising that the Oklahoma defense is much improved and holding opponents to 10ppg, the catch is they’ve only played two P5 teams in that span. OU has covered six consecutive games dating back to last season and keep the trend going here. Jump on this line soon because it’s hammering down.
Oklahoma +5.5

Boston College +3 vs. Army
I’m jumping on the Golden Eagle’s bandwagon. They have found their own version of AC in quarterback Thomas Castellanos. The young QB has completed 58% of his passes and tossed 10 TDs against 4picks. Most importantly he’s put a spark in the BC offense that led a comeback against the Hoos last week and is putting up points at the very least. In addition Army is modernizing their offense and allowing a few more possessions a game as a result.
Boston College +3

UGA -14.5 vs. Kentucky Over 47.5
The Bulldogs have not covered a game all season. They’ve been all over the media the past week with people asking questions about “Is Georgia okay?” “Do the Dawgs have what it takes?” The answers are yes and yes. Georgia has lost a ton of talent over the last two seasons (10 players to the NFL last year). It’s taken some time for the team to gel and break in a new QB. Saturday night they go between the Hedges for a big SEC East matchup against a very talented UK team. The Wildcats are thumping SEC teams and finding their groove and ready to toss their hat into the race for SEC Champions. However, this is not a good spot for them. UGa is the modern day masters of physical control the line football, you’re not out Georgia 'ing Georgia in Athens.
Dawgs -14.5 Over 47.5

Marshall +6.5 vs. NC States
The Brennan Armstrong experiment is over in Raleigh and with it, likely the roller coaster career of the QB. Enter MJ Morris to lead the Wolfpac and salvage a season that had high expectations. If Morris an engineer more than 24 points he’ll be onto something. Rasheen Ali has been a menace for the Thundering Heard he ran for two TD’s last week against ODU. As a Hoo fan I can’t help but keep an eye on Marshall and the success of Charles Huff on the sidelines. I think this is a great opportunity for Marshall to claim their second ACC pelt this season.
Marshall +6.5

Florida State vs. Virginia Tech Over 53
The last time we saw the Nole’s they earned a hard fought win over Clemson in Death Valley. They’ve had a week off to focus and build for the home stretch of their season. that begins with Va Tech coming to down for a noon kickoff. The Hokies offense exploded for 31 points last week and picked up their first victory in a month against a woeful Pitt team. The spread is 24.5 on this one and if pushed, I expect FSU to cover. More importantly I really like the FSU offense and their ability to score points. That receiving group will have advantages all over the field and Mike Norvell has proven he will not pull the dogs off once they get rolling.
Over 53

Missouri vs. LSU Over 65
I’m sweating already thinking about this one, 65 is a big number. But I just can’t quite it. The LSU defense is awful, 121 in points per drive 120 in passing success rate. Those are horrible numbers. Columbia is not typically what you think of as a hotbed of college football but the Tigers are balling this year. Quarterback Brady Cook has tossed 11 TDs and 0 picks on the year. The Tigers are averaging 29ppg. Their offense clicks and they have a legit rushing attack to compliment their passing game. I predict a track meet in this one.
Over 65

Virginia vs. W&M - No line
Umm… I’ve done no research on this one. Perhaps the most depressing stat for me is if the Hoos lose it won’t even be the first lost to W&M in my lifetime… why do I do this? On a positive I’m slowing starting to believe their is something special about Virginia team, yes I’m insane, 10 concussions may be talking now. take away Maryland and Tennessee the Hoos have been competitive in every game this season, and even in those games they were capable of putting up solid halves before the depth issues took over. This Virginia team has all the markings of a program that just does not know how to win. It’s cliche but I’ve seen it so many times. When the belief and the culture are not there, the little niggles become big issues almost instantly. At some point the tide will turn. Give me the Hoos to win against W&M

11 Likes

Cal + the points? I like it!
FSU and Va Tech over the total? I like it!
Marshall + 6.5? I’m concerned. Who knows how MJ Morris will do in a Robert Anae offense? I thought Morris looked pretty good last year.

Anyway, I’m sitting at 10-10-3 on the season. My won/loss record is in perfect balance and I am in equanimity about that. My picks this week will reflect that balance: two favorites, two underdogs, two picks over the total, and two under the total.

Arizona vs. USC, over 72. I talked up the USC run of overs last week but didn’t pick it. I won’t make that mistake again. Arizona is middle of the pack in passing efficiency defense and top third in total offense. USC is at home. No reason to think this is the week Southern Cal games start going under 70 points total.

Navy vs. North Texas, over 60.5. Top 10 rushing attack against #130 rushing defense. North Texas game totals through four games are averaging 79. Top pick of the week.

Oklahoma vs. Texas, under 61. The Red River Shootouts have been high scoring affairs in recent years, but I’m going against that trend. These are both top 30 defenses. When Oklahoma has been matched up against top 40 defenses this year, they have managed 28 against SMU and 20 against Cincinnati. Iowa State was a better result last week, but I’m not convinced. If this one doesn’t go to overtime, I think it will be solidly 7-10 points under the total.

TCU vs. Iowa State, under 52. Iowa State’s bread and butter is defense. Of course it has to be because their offense is poor…at least most of the time. Their last two games against the Oklahoma schools have been high scoring affairs, but Matt Campbell will have them returning to basics in this game. Meanwhile, TCU has been a bit of a disappointment this year, 2-4 ATS in their last 6 and only one game that went over a total of 53. Take the under here.

Michigan -20.5 vs. Minnesota. Rinse and repeat for Michigan. The Wolverines are well-suited to stopping the run and dominate teams that struggle passing the ball. UNLV is 113th in the nation in passing offense (Final: 35-7). Rutgers is 122nd (Final: 31-7). Nebraska is 125th (Final: 45-7). Minnesota? 123rd. It may be boring football, but I need some boring covers.

Kansas St. – 11.5 vs. Oklahoma St. This is a pick against Oklahoma State as much as a pick for Kansas State. Oklahoma State’s results are really poor this year. They managed 12-14 point wins against Central Arkansas and Arizona State. They gave up 34 to the Iowa State offense and got blown out at home by South Alabama. Kansas State crushed the Cowboys 48-0 last year. I think they can win by two touchdowns on the road here.

Wyoming + 6 vs. Fresno St. Wyoming is always tough at home and Fresno State is getting a little too much credit for its 5-0 start. They have played Nevada (#130 in total defense), Kent State (#128 in total offense), Eastern Washington (average directional school), Arizona State and Purdue. The Sun Devils and Boilermakers are decidedly mediocre and while they whipped Arizona State they only eked out a win against Purdue. Give me the Cowboys at night and at altitude.

Rutgers +13.5 vs. Wisconsin. I love that Rutgers is still getting big point spreads in games like this. Both of these teams like to run and both teams can stop the run. Wisconsin is a slightly better passing team than Rutgers, but Rutgers pass defense is top 20 while Wisconsin’s is outside the top 100. Wisconsin may win this game at home, but this one shapes up to be a low-scoring slugfest where 13.5 points is a lot.

5 Likes

Love this pick. Another note on Fresno St…that win over Arizona St was against their 3rd and 4th string QB. ASU starting QB was out, 2nd string QB got hurt on the second drive of the game then the 3rd and 4th strings guys finished it (both were terrible). Fresno St is very overrated.

3 Likes

Man really loving some of your picks this week.

KSU -11 great call, Fully agree about the ineptitude around the Cowboys, that Gundy offense has been slowing down for several years now and the talent pool just isn’t what it was.

Rutgers +13.5 is crazy. Schiano has a good team up there. Matter of fact I just checked because I liked that game so much I wanted to see the under and it’s looking like a bunch of books have pulled it so something is going on. But if you can find it I’d say bet it.

1 Like

I think this is the money pick. But I just jinxed you so Im sorry I cost you millions here. I agree with @BDragon take away about the defense on Oklahoma but I think the better take away is the under rather than Oklahoma pulling out the win in a close one.

But if you have $2 million lying around you can put 1 mil on each.

2 Likes

The only reason I shied away from the under is because the Shootout has been so high scoring the past few years. But @5sheff makes a very convincing case. @Hooandtrue I said the Sooners cover not win. Big difference

2 Likes

As a UVA fan Im accustomed to confusing covering the spread as a win.

4 Likes

Dragon’s killing it this year. He’s just handing out free money around here every weekend.

3 Likes

See I jinxed you @5sheff

Thanks as the kids say I’m on one. 7-2 on the weekend counting the UVa prediction even though there was not a spread at the time of publication

36-21 on the year for a 63% kill rate on the season. And yes, you best believe I get extra cheese on my whooper every time when I go.

6 Likes

…usc

2 Likes

Love it! Heck of a season you’ve got going. :heavy_dollar_sign:

I turned off the USC game and went to bed. Overtime rescued me from a total that wasn’t close. but I’ll take it! Finally got me over .500. 15-13-3.

1 Like

Thanks for the picks! Good weekend. Also glad I placed that pre-season futures bet of Colorado over 3.5 wins at +134…

5 Likes