Dragon's College Football Picks Week 8 (Season 4)

Last Week: 3-4-1
Overall: 39-24-1

Mood Wtf GIF by Tennis TV

Okay so I got too braggadocios last week and it caught up to me and I paid the price. Bellow .500 on the week and a slide. That’s okay you can’t win them all. But don’t tell that to my bank account. Time to right this ship.

Northwestern vs. Nebraska Under 40.5
What am I doing betting bottom tier B1G football? Alas here I am. There was a time at the start of the season I thought the Wildcats were they worst team in football. They are escaping that label slightly but their offense is remains putrid. The Cornhuskers are the programs I have waited the last 20 years to turn around and they always seem a QB away from being competitive. Nebraska does have a reliable defense this season, it’s not the famed black shirts but they get the job done especially against bad offenses. This is going to be ugly but hang in there.
Under 40.5

Minnesota +3.5 vs Iowa
Yup I’m still living that B1G life. This line makes no sense to me. Iowa should be more than a 3.5 favorite at home I don’t care how bad the offense is. That said usually when a line is this screwy it’s for a good reason even if I don’t understand it. If Vegas is calling, I should answer.
Minnesota +3.5

Florida State -14.5 vs Duke
The Duke story was cute at the start of the season, but with Riley Leonard still out, I just don’t see how the Blue Devils keep pace. Florida State’s offense has not been as explosive as I anticipated afted their opener against LSU, but they can control the line of scrimmage and punish an out manned opponent. Toss in the fact that Duke’s only true road game this season was at UConn, they are not going to like the confines of Doak on a Saturday night.
FSU -14.5

Washington St. vs Oregon Over 61
Washington State is coming back down to earth losing two in a row after a hot start to the season. Seemingly with it they lost their offense which has scored 23 points combined over the last two games. Enter an Oregon team that has a good defense, but they can give up points. Realistically I believe that even if WSU cannot hold up their end of the deal, it will be a Ducks beat down and they won’t have any trouble picking up the slack.
Over 61

Missouri vs. South Carolina Over 59
The Tigers are good. They just had a great upset victory on the road against Kentucky last week. They feature one of the best receivers in college football and they score points in bunches, averaging just over 33 ppg this season. The Gamecocks have been on a rollercoaster this season with their results, but Spencer Rattler is having a great season and South Carolina’s offense is averaging 29 ppg. I just don’t see how this game misses the over.
Over 59

Pitt +1 vs. Wake
Pitt pulled the big upset last week and logic tells me they should drop the ball on Saturday against a very mid Wake Forest team. However, I can’t get past the QB issues Wake is facing. As of this writing we are still unsure who will start for them, it’s possible third stringer Santino Marucci gets the nod with Michael Kern and Mitch Griffis either banged up or out. Let’s get weird and roll with the Panthers for a second consecutive week.
Pitt +1

Virginia vs. North Carolina Over 57
Our favorite team is back in action and riding a win streak. What can possibly go wrong? Drake Maye and the Tar Heels… Drake can sling that thing. My orange and blue glasses say the Hoos find a way to cover the 23 point spread, but not enough to put my money where my mouth is. I can see this one being ugly and Maye continues his trend of torching UVA.
Over 57

12 Likes

Ah, finally the weekend is here – Dragon has made his picks! Whereas his record is still sterling, mine is garbage. 18-18-3. What, am I just flipping a coin?? Undaunted, I press on.

Missouri vs. South Carolina, over 59. Yes - we are on the same page here!
Missouri has hit the over on each of its last 5 games. South Carolina has hit the over (and been over 60) in four of its last five. Touchdowns. I want more touchdowns!!

Iowa -3.5 vs. Minnesota Well, so much for being on the same page. There are several lines that I don’t get this week, and I’m taking the bait on all of them. Gophers are 1-5 ATS while Hawkeyes are 4-2-1 ATS this year. Twice earlier Iowa was favorite by 2-4 points. In those games they beat Iowa State by 7 and Purdue by 6. Sounds about right to me. Give me Iowa!

Florida Atlantic +2.5 vs. Texas San Antonio, and under 59.5 Offensive and defensive stats for these two teams are really similar, but Fla Atlantic has played the tougher schedule. Its top four games were against Clemson, Ohio, Illinois, and Tulsa. UTSA’s top four games were against Tennessee, Texas State, Houston and Army. If you discount mismatches vs. Monmouth and Clemson, FAU has been holding opponents to 18 points per game. Give me the home team plus the points and the under.

Miami (OH) +2.5 vs. Toledo. Toledo is 6-1, but only 2-5 ATS. Miami has won its last 6 ATS, while playing five of its seven total games away from home. Toledo was not impressive on the road the last two weeks against UMass and Ball State. Once again, I think the home team getting points is the superior squad.

Alabama vs. Tennessee, under 48 Both defenses are miles ahead of their inconsistent offenses. 48 isn’t a scary-low number. Give me the under.

Texas -23.5 vs. Houston Texas has been off since losing to Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago. Pent-up frustrations will be unleashed against Houston.

Oklahoma State vs. West Virginia, under 49 Four of Oklahoma States six games have hit the under. Both of West Virginia’s home games against FBS competition have had totals under 40. Last week’s game against Houston was an aberration. Take the under.

6 Likes

Fresh loves Tennessee at Bama

2 Likes

Haha I had several lines that just left me scratching my head. I took the bet with Iowa but I certainly get where you’re head is at.

1 Like

What’s the point spread on Alabama and Tennessee?

Bama -8.5

1 Like

Thanks, I have decided to start taking one of your picks and play it each week. Not for much. It’s very addictive. OK State and West Virginia this week. Under 49
I like that but i have already proved in the past i have no idea what I’m doing

1 Like

you’re darn right you have no idea what you’re doing. You took one of my picks instead of one of Dragon’s!

You’d better bet two of Dragon’s picks just to make up for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha i wasn’t going to say anything just in case it missed

2 Likes

Well it’s pretty obvious i dont know what im doing. I’m going to keep that one however and also take FSU -14.5 .This way i can jinx both of you

3 Likes

oh dear. I’m staring at a possible 0-5 start to the day. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I’m not far off fot some sweat going for sure

Drunk Star Trek GIF

5 Likes

You haven’t lived until you sweat a 12-10 Iowa Minnesota nail biter

4 Likes

A late fsu run brings me to 5-2 on the week. 44-26 on the yr.
Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

8 Likes

Ice Skater Falls Through Thin Ice GIF by ViralHog

I, on the other hand, was cruising along at .500 for a few weeks. It wasn’t good, but I was just a couple decent weeks from respectability. Instead, I cratered to 1-7 this week and now I’ll be lucky just to get back to .500 before the end of the season.

19-25-3 Eww. That record is U-G-L-Y.

2 Likes

Dragon is on a roll. I really could have used you about 20 years ago. I would be fat

3 Likes