Dragon's Week 7 College Football Picks

The weeks are flying by, and the college football season keeps getting crazier. The SEC and Big12 have seen their share of upsets. The ACC, has gone largely according to plan, and we’re still waiting on the BIG and Pac-12 to kick it off. On the upside last week I went 3-2 thanks to a nifty over by Bama and Old Miss. Let’s leave the money on the table and let it ride for another week.

Record: 8-9

Syracuse +3 vs. Liberty: Syracuse is safely at the bottom of the ACC, losing to winless Duke last week assured us of that. Liberty is 4-0 and still attempting to build a true Division 1 program. I would say this is a slam dunk if Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito was suiting up, but he is likely out for the season, and upon further review, his stats were pedestrian at best, so he probably would not move the needle too much. On the other side, Liberty has made a living off the cupcake circuit so far this season. UL Monroe and North Alabama aren’t rocketing up any polls. Bottom line is Syracuse dominated Liberty last season, and they were bad then, and they can certainly do it again on Saturday. Syracuse +3.

BYU -4.5 vs. Houston: A little Friday night action for this one. Wrap up your workday and grab yourself a cold one because these two teams are going to light the scoreboard up early and often. BYU’s offense has been rolling this season. Houston finally got on the field, and they looked like a typical Dana Holgorsen team, fast paced offense, zero defense. BYU’s staff knows how to take advantage of the spotlight of national television. Expect Zach Wilson to pull out all the stops as he guides the Cougars in a high scoring affair. I’d take the over 62.5 as a way to hedge yourself as well. BYU -4.5.

Florida International +7 vs. UNC Charlotte: If you’re not an alumni of either of these schools the only reason to watch this game is because of gambling. FIU can run the ball and score in bunches, Charlotte has an excellent pass defense, but they are not big into stopping the run. Thanks to their rushing attack FIU has a way of sticking around games, although they don’t win them. FIU +7

NC State -5 vs. Duke: Everyone around here is fully aware of what Devin Leary can do as a quarterback. Since taking over for the Wolfpack he has been on fire, and they have won two in a row as underdogs. Last week NC State was slowed in the second half against UVa after jumping out to a 24-0 lead. Duke’s defense has been carved up by every opponent this year. Their offense finally turned on last weekend against Syracuse, but look above to see what I think about the Orange. NC State is my surprise team of the ACC and they will continue to roll on Saturday. NC State -5

Virginia -2.5 vs. Wake Forest: I have no feel for this game and wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot poll. The Hoo’s are struggling right now and it looks like Lindell Stone is going to be under center Saturday Afternoon. He proved to be a more accurate passer than Brennan Armstrong last week, but he’s not the running threat that Armstrong is. Virginia could use that rushing attack this weekend against a Wake Forest team that ranks 72nd in success rate allowed. Staying on schedule and avoiding 3rd and longs is going to be huge for Virginia. They haven’t been great at that so far and Wake is deadly when they get teams into a third in long. This year’s Virginia team gives me major Mike London era vibes, and as a bettor that’s a big no touch.

1 Like

Late addition here. FiU is off the board and canceled due to Covid. To make up for it I like Bama -5 agaisnt UGa and. Ole Miss -1 agaisnt Arkansas.

For those keeping track Im 1-1 on the week so far.