Duke game thread (Sat 4pm)

Duke at UVA, Saturday 4 PM on ESPN.

8 Likes

Hoo wil guard Filipowski? JG/BVP combo? Dunn?

1 Like

BVP and Dunn my guess? Love the Dunn on him

9 Likes

I’m sure Kadin will get some time guarding him as well. Kihei can check Lively so we don’t gotta worry about that.

7 Likes

Cut off Jeremy roach from leading the team (Reece)

FIght on the boards vs Filipowski and Young (Kadin, maybe Papi)

Easiest win in ACC play 100% guaranteed and calling it right now. Hoos by 20.

9 Likes

Is that Hoos by 20, or “Hoos by 20 with 2 minutes left and ends up Hoos by 8”?

8 Likes

The one thing Duke does well is offensive rebounding. Going to have to limit that.

4 Likes

Ks teams in the past really tried to get out and go against us. I dont see that ability with this team

3 Likes

What I know is papi should start. What I don’t know is whose face he should maul first.

4 Likes

Also for Reece, start the game with a redo of his Ja Morant-like elbow hammer dunk. And repeat that liberally for the remainder of the season.

7 Likes

I think we found our next assistant coach for when Williford leaves.

3 Likes

I agree with Reece on Roach, not a lot of distributing on the team without him. Put Kihei on Proctor for the ball pressure and I’ve a feeling that’ll produce a lot of turnovers for the young guy

1 Like

Pre game musings and a conversation yesterday at club soccer practice with a soccer dad - Duke fan…
He saw my Hoos hat and we started talking hoops.
He said:
Brogdon was a beast - so physical and good. Had no idea he was with the Celtics - not an NBA fan.
He said Kihei is tough and a pest and is really, really, really annoying. Been at UVA since Duke last won a title.
He’s concerned about the guard play and isn’t impressed yet with Lively. Thinks Filipowski will have to have a big game along with Roach.
He said Roach is definitely gone after this year and likely at least 2 of the freshmen … gotta make room for all the new guys coming in.
Not really a fan of Proctor so far.

Musings from the Wave:
Likely will have to hit threes this game with the size and agility of Duke’s front court.
Make a concerted effort to rebound with all 5 on defense…
I also think we should send 2 or 3 to the offensive boards.
Duke relies on their length to rebound and doesn’t box out consistently.
Duke is 13th in the ACC in pace … so our slow pace will not hurt them at all … they are used to it already.
Duke is #1 in the ACC in points allowed per possession.
UVA is #2.
Duke has a scoring margin of +9.1
UVA has a scoring margin of +9.6
Duke is 3rd worst in the ACC in turnovers … but still only 12.2 per game.
UVA is 2nd best in the ACC in turnovers … with 9.1 per game.
Big key will be what each team does with turnovers … gotta convert to points.
Biggest key will be 2nd chance points …
Young and Filipowski are both top 10 in the ACC in PER and rebounding.

2 Likes

Would be the first time in forever that we have blown out Duke. I can’t remember when we have beaten them like we have beat everyone else.

1 Like

Thats what I see from this Puke team vs most years. Dont have the same ability to get out and run like in the past. Huge advantage for the Hoos

1 Like

February 1993 at Cameron sir. Can provide video upon request

11 Likes

Duke doesn’t worry me as much as Tech or State , but they do worry me. They’re one of those teams that hasn’t lived up to its potential, but when they play well, they have the talent to beat almost anyone. It’s a little bit of a crapshoot.

Last double digit win over Duke was 1996…
UVA only has 4 double digit wins over Duke in history without Ralph…. 4 times … that’s crazy.
Ralph beat them by double digits 6 times in 4 years.

4 Likes

In fairness, Duke sucked pretty badly when Ralph was in school. His senior year, we beat Duke by 40 points in the ACC Tournament. That was Coach K’s third season, and fans were screaming for him to be fired.

2 Likes

Just for continued monitoring:

Duke Basketball on Twitter: “Scheyer on Dariq Whitehead: His status is still unclear for Saturday’s game against Virginia. Whitehead has participated in non-contact drills, but today will be a full practice and further evaluation is needed before a decision” / Twitter

1 Like