Fall recruiting thread

That’s a pretty good outcome, VCU is poised to be good based on preseason efficiency projections (#23 in KenPom’s rankings, #9 on Bart Torvik’s T-Rank). They were good last year, return pretty much every single contributor, and defense was their calling card last season, so the low score isn’t too surprising.

So was it Clark-Stattmann-Key-Diakite-Huff as the starters? If Stattmann can maintain good contributions in a significant rotation role, it gets a lot easier to find minutes for Key at the 4, which I could see being crucial for certain matchups.

2 Likes

I’m thinking, maybe too wishfully, that Diakite could become a good late-in-the-shot-clock option. Not driving from outside the arc, but get the ball to him between 10 and 15 feet from the rim around the 45/135 degree angle on the court and let him get a quick shot or a fake shot and drive to the rim. Similar to how CTB used Mike Scott many years ago (thought not so much on the fake shot and drive).

3 Likes

As much as the Big 3 contributed this is the area where we are really gonna miss them,especially Ty

2 Likes

HGN, do you see Morsell starting at any point or is Stattmann playing that well? Nothing against Kody, I have always been impressed with his smooth stroke and silkiness on the court. Would Morsell play a 2 or will he take the point sometimes with Kihei out?

1 Like

Any word on Woldetensae?

1 Like

Do you see Morsell starting at any point
[/quote]

For now they like Morsell as the 6th man. With the jumbo starting lineup, he can sub for anyone.

2 Likes

Looks like the coaches will be out and about this week. 2nd time they’ve seen each of these guys this Fall.

Ohio State will host Top-35 junior Caleb Furst for an unofficial visit this weekend, a source told @Stockrisers; Virginia will also have an assistant in for him Thursday.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) October 22, 2019

Virginia and Notre Dame will be at open gym tonight for 2021 Wilson (PA) PG Stevie Mitchell.

— THE MILLER REPORT ™️ (@miller_report) October 22, 2019
1 Like

Stevie Mitchell with Coach Vandross tonight, from Wilson bball on twitter

2 Likes

Who is considered best talent evaluator among the assistants?

1 Like

2021 Long Beach Poly SG Peyton Watson has set his official visit date. There’s another visitor expected that weekend too, was reported by Brad Franklin at Cavs Corner. Now that Watson’s is out there I’ll see if I can get the other guy to confirm his date so we can talk about it.

University of Virginia Official Visit Nov. 8th-10th! #GoHoos⚔️🔶🔷

— Peyton Watson (@peytonwatsonnn) October 23, 2019
2 Likes

Ugh, tough question to answer. Vandross has been the most effective at finding guys ahead of the crowd. They all have their roles though. Williford’s is more in actual recruiting and Soderberg does the tougher evals that don’t pay off as often.

2 Likes

Early indications aren’t promising with Christie, but still after it.

Virginia sent an assistant in today for five-star junior Max Christie, a source told @Stockrisers. Top junior target for Tony Bennett who saw him a few weeks back.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) October 23, 2019
2 Likes

Trevor Keels is taking his trip to Ohio State this weekend. His 2nd official, along with unofficials to Villanova and Maryland.

Call it a rumor but I’ve heard UVA is working to line up another visitor from the west coast, 2021 guard Isa Silva. He was at Stanford last weekend, probably the early favorite.

1 Like

What in the world is the OSU draw? Reid visited as well.

2 Likes

As you probably recall, Isa and Jabri Abdur-Rahim were friends and teammates until the Abdur-Rahim family moved away from Sacramento. In an interview with Corey Evans last summer, Silva had great things to say about both Jabri and Jabri’s future college coach.

5 Likes

Apparently Caleb Furst at Ohio St as well

2 Likes

I think kids love that visit with college football home game etc. Also seem to like the coach as well as they are rebuilding in some ways. I know Luther Muhommed well (OSU sophomore) and after he visited OSU he cancelled one to CVille although he did do unofficial before that to UVa.

2 Likes

*Muhammed

1 Like

I read that we basically have no hope with Quincy Allen. Is that true? And HoozGotNext is the list of the top 10 recruits in this article accurate? I’m talking about this acticle:

Not sure what the rules here are about cross-posting.

Here’s what it says:

9. Quincy Allen

A 6’6" wing out of Maret School in DC, Quincy Allen can score from all three levels. He’s a great shooter with good mechanics and footwork. He’s probably the best all-around shooter that Virginia is evaluating, and there is always room on a Tony Bennett roster for a great shooter.

But Allen is more than a shooter – he’s versatile, which is obviously popular in positionless basketball. And Allen plays defense. “Shot making, energy, IQ, defensive stops,” are what he believes set him apart. He’s ranked among the top 30 players in the nation because of that versatility.

But unfortunately for Virginia, Allen says he prefers a fast-paced program.

Allen says NC State, Stanford, and Syracuse lead in his recruitment. When asked why those three, he responded “location.” Of course, those three schools are in wildly different locations, ranging from snowy upstate New York to the California coast.

Virginia hasn’t offered, and no visit appears to be in the works.

3 Likes

Oh you’re fine posting here. Bottom line with Allen is he’ll need to show more, presumably next Spring, to get a Virginia offer. Very talented, not very productive yet, at least not against top competition. He’s a tricky recruit because if/when he puts it together, EVERYONE will jump aboard. So yeah low probability right now because Benentt isn’t biting. But that could change in one weekend next April.

I’ll put out a recruit rundown soon, and update throughout. As always early on with Bennett, the only ones that really matter are the guys he’s taken trips to see personally.
Things haven’t started with the rest, offers or not.

2 Likes