Fall recruiting thread

Well you just answered my next question. I was gonna ask you about Whitt. I like his game .Great passer and court awareness

3 Likes

Any unofficial visitors today HGN?

1 Like

I haven’t heard of any. Home scrimmage vs VCU tomorrow so if anyone’s coming it’d probably be then.

3 Likes

The Arkansas site Hogville talked to Moses Moody following his visit there.

Q: With a couple of more official visits that you can take, what’s next?

A: I’m not sure. I don’t have any more (visits) scheduled, but I’m not sure if I’ll take another one or not. I might take one to Virginia.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=693805.0

He took a little different tone in the interview published by Rivals this morning, saying he’s thinking about deciding in the next month while also mentioning he might take one more visit presumably to UVA.

3 Likes

Any chance you get some a scrimmage tidbits later?

1 Like

Will pass along anything I hear. There are probably people reading here who would know more and sooner though.

1 Like

Always nice when your top targets post pics in UVA gear.

From Trevor Keels IG stories

8 Likes

UVA 52 VCU 44. Mamadi and Key were really good. Stattmann solid in the starting role. Morsell did some good things. Huff struggled, but VCU is a brutal matchup for him. Biggest problem is they have a really hard time late in the shot clock. I’m afraid that’s going to be an issue all season. We just don’t have that guy that create his own. Morsell is probably the best hope if he can grow into it over the season.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty good outcome, VCU is poised to be good based on preseason efficiency projections (#23 in KenPom’s rankings, #9 on Bart Torvik’s T-Rank). They were good last year, return pretty much every single contributor, and defense was their calling card last season, so the low score isn’t too surprising.

So was it Clark-Stattmann-Key-Diakite-Huff as the starters? If Stattmann can maintain good contributions in a significant rotation role, it gets a lot easier to find minutes for Key at the 4, which I could see being crucial for certain matchups.

2 Likes

I’m thinking, maybe too wishfully, that Diakite could become a good late-in-the-shot-clock option. Not driving from outside the arc, but get the ball to him between 10 and 15 feet from the rim around the 45/135 degree angle on the court and let him get a quick shot or a fake shot and drive to the rim. Similar to how CTB used Mike Scott many years ago (thought not so much on the fake shot and drive).

3 Likes

As much as the Big 3 contributed this is the area where we are really gonna miss them,especially Ty

2 Likes

HGN, do you see Morsell starting at any point or is Stattmann playing that well? Nothing against Kody, I have always been impressed with his smooth stroke and silkiness on the court. Would Morsell play a 2 or will he take the point sometimes with Kihei out?

1 Like

Any word on Woldetensae?

1 Like

Do you see Morsell starting at any point
[/quote]

For now they like Morsell as the 6th man. With the jumbo starting lineup, he can sub for anyone.

2 Likes

Looks like the coaches will be out and about this week. 2nd time they’ve seen each of these guys this Fall.

Ohio State will host Top-35 junior Caleb Furst for an unofficial visit this weekend, a source told @Stockrisers; Virginia will also have an assistant in for him Thursday.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) October 22, 2019

Virginia and Notre Dame will be at open gym tonight for 2021 Wilson (PA) PG Stevie Mitchell.

— THE MILLER REPORT ™️ (@miller_report) October 22, 2019
1 Like

Stevie Mitchell with Coach Vandross tonight, from Wilson bball on twitter

2 Likes

Who is considered best talent evaluator among the assistants?

1 Like

2021 Long Beach Poly SG Peyton Watson has set his official visit date. There’s another visitor expected that weekend too, was reported by Brad Franklin at Cavs Corner. Now that Watson’s is out there I’ll see if I can get the other guy to confirm his date so we can talk about it.

University of Virginia Official Visit Nov. 8th-10th! #GoHoos⚔️🔶🔷

— Peyton Watson (@peytonwatsonnn) October 23, 2019
2 Likes

Ugh, tough question to answer. Vandross has been the most effective at finding guys ahead of the crowd. They all have their roles though. Williford’s is more in actual recruiting and Soderberg does the tougher evals that don’t pay off as often.

2 Likes

Early indications aren’t promising with Christie, but still after it.

Virginia sent an assistant in today for five-star junior Max Christie, a source told @Stockrisers. Top junior target for Tony Bennett who saw him a few weeks back.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) October 23, 2019
2 Likes