Favorite non-UVa NBA player?

Ditto @GMoney . I followed Larry and Magic from the NCAA to the NBA and their many battles especially in the NBA Championships. I also learned the beauty of the game was far more than dunks and scoring. I actually enjoyed the NBA much more during that time. Back then it truly was Showtime

3 Likes

Those Kings teams were great to watch. I loved Pejaā€™s jumper.

The Kemp-Payton era Sonics and the Run TMC Warriors were other great west coast teams to watch although I was a little young to see much Run TMC other than Sportscenter highlights.

3 Likes

Hondo Havlicek was my favorite as a kid, but Larry Legend eventually eclipsed him. Among current players, Iā€™m a big Jaylen Brown fan. That young manā€™s focus and driveā€“both on and off the courtā€“are really admirable.

2 Likes

GMoney learnin early (or later) that pops always knows. great story

2 Likes

It was funny having Mr Havlicek just as Chrisā€™s dad in my time. Then we started to look up box scores from his day when he would crush us in HORSE daily (dont think he ever took a letter) and man it was just greatness. Have lotta stories of him giving us an occasional tidbit in ā€œnormalā€ things like ā€œwell when i was guarding Julius andā€¦ā€ ok we get itā€¦

5 Likes

Yeah, my Pop taught me so much about sports and life in general. Tomorrow marks 4 years since we lost him. I miss him every day.

5 Likes

Itā€™s so awesome that you guys got to hang around with and learn from such a legend. Iā€™m envious. I know Hondo had some critical stuff to say about JJā€™s usage of Chris, but Iā€™m sure it had to be frustrating for him to see his son not quite be able to break through. Iā€™m glad Chris still has warm feelings toward the program. Iā€™m really looking forward to listening to the latest episode of the JWilly Show.

1 Like

College only:

1. Len Bias
  2. Grant Hill
  3. Akeem (no H then) Olajuwon
  4. David Robinson
  5. Larry Johnson
3 Likes

Itā€™s great reading these. For me, itā€™s Lebron, Dame, Kobe, Gary Payton, and Muggsy. Those among other guys. Primarily itā€™s Malcolm, Ty, Kyle, Dre, Mike, Jus, and Dev, tho.

2 Likes

Starting a podcast to keep up with all the hoos in the professional ranksā€¦

8 Likes

Can we take a moment to appreciate that thanks to the CTB era, there are so many Hoos in the NBA currently that itā€™s actually difficult to keep up with them? AND the top rated one of all of them isnā€™t even in the bubble! We are in rarefied air friends.

10 Likes

Should add, we were kinda lost about the tiebreakers between the Suns, Grizzlies, and Blazers. But this sums it up well:

2 Likes

Current guys:

• Jokic: Very fun to watch him do some sorcery with the ball in his hands
  • Giannis: His drives, especially in transition, are breath-taking at times
  • Lowry: I just appreciate how he plays. All the details are just right and just does winning stuff constantly.
2 Likes

Current playersā€¦Kyle Lowry and Dame Lillard. Dame is must watch TV for me.

All time, Barkley, Shaq and Bird.

5 Likes

Although, I would have to say that when I first got to PDX, Brandon Roy was amazing to watch. Saw him score 52 one time. But I still think Dame is my favorite for my earlier reasons.

2 Likes

The Blazers/Nets game was incredibleā€¦

4 Likes

Found my fav non uva player (After AI, of course)

3 Likes

After reading Jimmy Butlers quotes from his interview with Rachel Nichols. He my new favorite current player.

1 Like

and you know mineā€¦ same reason(s) ha

2 Likes

And Butler is running a coffee shop out of his hotel room and charging $20 a cup? Savage! Im all in on thia guy.

2 Likes