February 2023 - UVA Basketball

Lol. Thanks for paying for our media attention and social media engagement, Weitsman!

2 Likes

Danny with your key stat today.

16 Likes

Ah, Nolte. What a strange development arc he had.

9 Likes

Incredible. Iā€™m legitimately surprised when his shots donā€™t fall. What a weapon especially once heā€™s able to start showing the rest of his game

4 Likes

What is the difference between mental and emotional?

Do you have 40 hours, a fire pit, and access to the finest devilā€™s lettuce available east of the Mississippi?

Otherwise. Idk. Its hump day morning maybe there isnt a difference.

1 Like

I think TB should wear what Jalens wearing

3 Likes

Consistent with my long comment yesterday regarding ACC play, January has come and gone and we have three months and 20 games worth of metrics and eyeball observations to work with, which should be plenty to draw some decent conclusions about where the team is at this moment in the season. And I think itā€™s fair to conclude that we are the ACC regular season favorites with a good chance at a S16, but probably not E8 finish. Many have pointed out UVAā€™s current flaws, as well as the likelihood that the play of iMac, Dunn and Kadin going forward is going to determine whether the team exceeds current expectations. The only other Tony team that I can remember making the kind of leap after January that is needed this year is the 2016 one. And there are not many parallels between the 2016 team and the 2023 team to point to. Nevertheless, Iā€™m really looking forward to watching the team play in February and March (and maybe April), and will do so with my usual optimistic outlook.

7 Likes

Unfortunately the sound wasnā€™t picked up in that video.

Tony: Hey, Jalen. Good luck in the Super Bowl. And why are you here?

Jalen: Thanks. This guy paid me to be his friend for the day. I donā€™t even like college basketball. And who are you?

10 Likes

TB: stay continuous my brother and remember joy comes in the morning!

6 Likes

We will need Shed and Dunn in the madness for reboundingā€¦ against athletic dudes ā€¦
BVP showing off his credit card hops while a 6-3 guard jumps over him for the rebound ā€¦

1 Like

emotional is a feelingā€¦mental involves thoughtsā€¦

2 Likes

And it is another object lesson for UVA fans. I read, I donā€™t think it was here but on another UVA board, that IMac looked overwhelmed, he wasnā€™t a Kyle Guy, blah blah blah after his first handful of appearances. Once again people took a very small sample size and projected it across a much longer period. Same shit as they did initially to Ty.

Now, he is a different player than Kyle and Iā€™m not saying heā€™s going to accomplish the same things, but in his own right I feel comfortable that IMac is going to be a major piece of our program for the next several years.

The value of this playing time will pay huge dividends next season for IMac and Ryan.

12 Likes

Issac McKneely is going to be one of the best players ever at UVa. And I thank you for this post

19 Likes

We love Kehei Clark and we love Jaden Gardner however, I think by tournament time both Isaac McKneeley and Ryan Dunn will be better players than the seniorsā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t understand this distinction when talking about ceilings lol the difference between a Sweet 16 team and Elite Eight team is often tiny. We are talking 1-2 shots. One Kihei front end make or miss. One Ryan Dunn block vs foul call by a ref.

In the broader expectations range, Iā€™d put us somewhere in the 8-15 range nationally. Exact sort of team where Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight is the swing between widely (ie by the media not necessarily UVA fans) being considered a successful tournament.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the difference between a tip in against a top 25ish team in round 2, vs a probable top 10ish team in the Sweet 16. Which to me, seems like a meaningful distinction.

But I agree on our range.

2 Likes

Well then I disagree that this team has a ā€˜tip in at the buzzer in the round of 32ā€™ ceiling lol I think we have an ā€˜opponent missed game winning 3 attempt at the buzzer in the Elite Eightā€™ ceiling

Thought this was a likely outcome not ceiling convo, but I may have lost track

2 Likes

I originally replied to a part of a post saying we have a good chance at a sweet 16 but probably not elite 8 finish lol so maybe I took it the opposite way of what they meant. I was trying to talk about the ceiling originally but both also mentioned my view of our larger place in the CBB scheme

1 Like