General UVA Basketball Thread (December)

Agree that’s the real difference. The change in his shot was to make it more compact and effecient.

But shooting against P5 teams who know you’re a gunner and are jumping in his sh#t is a big difference from what he’s used to. It’s going to take a while to realize he cant out athlete his way to open shots at this level. Those cuts and actions have to be crisp and efficient.

8 Likes

Love that KG catch n shoot was 1 move nearly adjusting and lining yup in the air. As you said his mind was made up before he caught the ball.

IMAC is thinking his way through things right now and Im sure he’s worried about making a mistake and that second of hesitation is too much.

8 Likes

Ooops… wrong chat…

1 Like

This timidness has been present in pretty much all of our first years for the last few seasons.

Isaac is interesting because we know he is familiar with both the pack line and blocker-mover. And definitely had swag in HS.

1 Like

I agree Kyle Guy had no fear of shooting and was ready to catch, elevate, and shoot in one fast motion. But they never changed his jump shot to more of a set shot. And I wonder is McKneely’s hesitation because he is thinking he can’t get off a shot without elevating and that’s what they have changed in his shot. Steph Curry gets his off quickly but maybe Mick is hesitant with the new motion.

How are we feeling?

• We are going to win the National Title
  • Amazing
  • Great
  • Good
  • We are going to drop a really bad game soon

0 voters

Yup, this is it. It’s the old sports cliche - needs to slow down for him. I still want to see him just react and get a bucket (or frankly get viciously rejected - which is a good learning experience too).

Hoops isn’t soccer. You can screw up quite a few times and still win

4 Likes

Probably contributing to the overall hesitation

1 Like

Lot of talk here about Kyle Guy, so it’s important to remember context: In his first year. Guy averaged 19 minutes a game and 3 three-point shots. So far this year, McKneely is averaging 16 minutes a game – and 3 three-point shots.

Sure, those numbers are inflated by the blowout wins. So let’s look at Guy in his first four non-blowout games: 3 three-point shots against Iowa, none against Providence, 1 against Ohio State, 2 against West Virginia. In ACC play that year, only twice did he take more than 4 three-point shots in a game.

Not trying to make any comparisons beyond: 1) It took a while before Kyle Guy became the gunner we remember; and 2) It’s not at all unusual for a first-year player to take some time before figuring out how to be aggressive within a team offense.

13 Likes

1 and 5

1 Like

Yes, Kyle looked lost on defense his first year. Felt like more confidence in his shot but he also had a less experienced/talented team.

If McKneely wore a man bun, no one would be worried about his shot.

15 Likes

There’s kind of a serious point here: Kyle came in looking (literally) like a guy who, as the kids say, “wanted all that smoke.” iMac looks like a guy who enjoys deferring to his elders. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But neither is dunking on them.

6 Likes

Game film study this morning of the Michigan game.
Gardner is pretty good against someone 6-7 or under… he rebounded well …
Clark is pretty good shooting when moving or fading left…
11:50 left - UVA was down by 6 when Tony asked for a review on the pull down by Dickinson was a big turning point… almost every 50/50 call had been going against UVA all game including that one… but he forced the officials to look at the video and it took possession away from Michigan and Clark hit 2 FT’s.
That started a 15-4 run that gave the Hoos a 5 point lead.
Highest leverage moment of the game.
Reece had 3 steals only credited with one.
Was also impressed by how the team dealt with adversity throughout and toughed it out.

8 Likes

So, does Coach Bennett sit Beekman against Madison? It was pretty obvious his ankle isn’t close to 100%. Can McKneely, Dunn, and, maybe, Coleman provide enough? Madison only has two losses. UNC and Valparaiso. JMU isn’t the most daunting opponent on the schedule, but, then, they did win last year. Regardless, it would be nice to let Beekman rest so he is at full strength when Houston comes to town.

1 Like

No.

8 Likes

Thankfully there’s a lot of time between the JMU game and Houston games, I imagine anyone banged up will have a good amount of time to heal in between (hopefully).

4 Likes

Wish he would but he won’t. I’m just scared the weak ankle gets injured worse. But they have more data points than me to make a call.

2 Likes

It’s an awful position. It’s clear Reece is the linchpin for this team. And it’s obvious hes boy 100% and you definitely don’t want to cause long-term damage.

My opinion sit him for JMU it’s a non-con and with the quality wims banked it’s not a necessary game to win.

2 Likes

This seems like something you can accomplish with your photoshop skills!

4 Likes