Healing and Recovering and Celebrating

https://twitter.com/JacquieFran_/status/1635639011787042819?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1635639011787042819|twgr^02db478a6a4160d5e33bfa60589f2ab34071f220|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fvirginia%2Fboard%2Fvirginia-cavaliers-message-board-forum-16%2F

Absolutely incredible.

17 Likes

I think there was a tony Elliott presser today, too

1 Like
1 Like

He said he might have been ā€œoverzealousā€ last year, trying to do too much.

I think Bronco said something similar after his first year.

One day, a coach will take over a program and realize he doesnā€™t need to change EVERYTHING, and even the things he needs to change donā€™t need to be changed all at once.

4 Likes

Seemed to be an micro manager to me. Proly pushed some guys away

4 Likes

That totally makes sense, and is not surprising. Also youā€™ve been around long enough @newjerseyhoo thatā€™s the classic first time HC move. Itā€™s almost shocking when it doesnā€™t happen. I remember my first year as an HC I was 100% guilty of that and had to have someone pull me aside and provide some guidance in the offseason.

Hopefully CTE has a group he can go to that can help teach him as he grows. Iā€™ve mentioned before I wonder what his relationship is what Dabo and if he has provided any insight into how to run a program. You got to have that in that profession.

3 Likes

Dabo taking over at Clemson and CTE here are very different obviously, CTE would have loved to inherit the talent Dabo did. I was worried Tony would try to change too many things without his full focus on football.
Winning will help change the culture and everything about the program.

2 Likes

For sure the two jobs are apples and oranges. I meant I hope CTE is talking to Dabo about how to be a leader/HC. That sort of thing has nothing to do with Xā€™s and Oā€™s

1 Like

Not just coaches. Bosses in general. Iā€™ve lost count how many times Iā€™ve worked for a new editor and the first thing he (or she) did was declare that everything we did before was crap. Thatā€™s the way to pump up your staff!

When I give seminars, I make an analogy to a house: You still need a place to live while youā€™re completing the renovations. If you tear everything down, what are you going to do? Pitch a tent in the driveway? Some things need to be changed immediately (the roof has a hole in it and the foundation is cracking) and some things can be changed over time (we can get by with this functional kitchen for a bit while we repair the roof and foundation).

We tore down the offense and the defense, when only the defense needed such drastic change. Hopefully, CTE can get those things back in balance this year. Iā€™m still optimistic.

7 Likes

Great analogy.

Long term Iā€™m somewhat optimistic. This coming season, not so much.

Itā€™s at least a positive thing that he recognizes his error. Throughout the season it seemed he did not.

2 Likes

The punting game sadly was the pitched tent in the (gravel) driveway

Is a really good anaolgy

4 Likes

Oh yeah, didnā€™t mean for that to sound like that, hopefully you are right and he learned how the entire program should work. I would like to know how much time he spends on the defensive field?
I will say this he impressed a lot of people the way he handled that tragedy.

1 Like

Havenā€™t had time to watch more than the first few minutes, but wow. Hero.

9 Likes

Gonna be some tears flowing when Mike scores his first TD this fall. :heart:

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1639397681893187584

16 Likes

Gill continues to be maybe my personal favorite player of the Bennett era.

6 Likes