Holy crap, K retiring

All the former Dukies got ruled out because they failed or didn’t win enough in their head coaching jobs, so they went with the guy still hanging around who hadn’t had a chance to fail on his own yet? I don’t get it.

6 Likes

Love this take.

Feels like they probably boxed themselves in I’m sure K wanted to name his successor and obviously that was going to come from his tree which has born little fruit so far. Administration didn’t want to take the wrap for forcing Ks hand.

2 Likes

The rest of Coach K’s tree may have failed, but Scheyer will have something they didn’t - the power of the Duke brand.

Scheyer offers continuity for the brand. All he knows is Duke and all we know of him is Duke. They’re going to continue to recruit better than anyone in the country because they’ll retain the image and it won’t matter who the head coach is. Also, he may actually be a good coach but who knows.

Dauster throwing shade at Goodman. LOL!

1 Like

The only time I’ll shout out a Terp

8 Likes

Thats a good one.

1 Like

Kansas is a good example of the rare successful transition: Self won the natty that Roy couldn’t.

1 Like

Very good point. I was thinking there was a lull between the two, but there never really was and Self has maintained the program well.

Also hate that play outta position and look to take a charge. Can kill a guy that way

2 Likes

It’s a terrible attempt at a charge. Nowadays the restricted area takes some of that out and it wouldn’t even be a question about the foul.

1 Like

Those Duke games at MD used to be real too

2 Likes

Yeah, if there’s ever a play demonstrating why the restricted area is important, it’s that one. Dudes shouldn’t be hoping under guys who are at the rim to try and draw a charge. Is super dangerous.

1 Like

Don’t say that Fresh. I like Jwilly where he is

1 Like

I agree completely. The others didn’t have the Duke brand and that continuity. Scheyer was a smart player. Of all the PG talent they have had through the years, probably the most unexpected success was their 2009-10 natty with Scheyer at PG. The rest of the roster hardly seemed intimidating - Singler, Nolan Smith, Zoubek, and a couple of Plumlees - but Scheyer led them well. Whether that translates to head coaching acumen, we will see.

He recruits well, and seems to have a good demeanor on the sideline - a welcome change from the ferret. Worst case, if he doesn’t quite work out, they can make the big splash hire with the next guy. Anyone following K is going to have a tough go. I think Scheyer might be just the right guy for them.

1 Like

I been thinking about K farewell tour and while we know it will be over the top and annoying A. he deserves it and B. it actually could be good for their program as he hands over the reigns and Schyer can be the HC with K still being around…

I will now wait for the Boooooooos!

7 Likes

Gets some attention on the ACC in what is otherwise shaping up to be a third straight down year too.

1 Like

K would have caught heat for the farewell tour either way, but it doesn’t help that Roy walked away without the fanfare and is a more likable guy.

There’s no one I disliked more than UNC under Dean, but it was hard to hate Roy.

10 Likes

If this is an indication of how Coach K’s farewell tour is gonna go, I’m here for it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPqgSOOpwiw/?utm_medium=copy_link

1 Like

Thanks yo
@PhonyBennett i watched that intro on loop amd laughed my a$$ off each time

1 Like

That is one of the most purely bizarre things I’ve ever seen. The dispassionate look on his face while clapping. I think I’ve just been convinced of simulation theory.

2 Likes