Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

Offense had a rough day apparently. I appreciate the directness about it from Kitchings though.

3 Likes

For those that enjoy lengthy practice footage - practices from the past week

1 Like

Well this is going great. If you believe Mg234 on the Sabre we’ve already alienated a bunch of in state recruits and coaches.

2 Likes

Wasn’t as much a surprise since he had been shopping.

This quote lol

“Virginia is a good school both with football and academics, and they got good coaches, but I feel like I can go somewhere where, I’m not saying bigger than that, but I feel like I can go anywhere in the country and play,” Lee said over the phone.

He’s going to UCF

5 Likes

Was the fourth best player committed in the '23 class. This is… not going well.

2 Likes

The second he went to IMG it was over

5 Likes

How did they allegedly do that? I thought their entire spring strategy was rebuilding bridges with Virginia high schools. Visiting schools that didn’t even have a high major prospect in the senior class and whatnot.

9 Likes

Huh not great. Optimistic side says could have been a number of reasons that have nothing to do with TE. Kid who’s at IMG has outside influences around.

Pessimistic me says TE aint connecting the way he should. Could be rough personality poor pitch I dunno.

I tend to lean more towards option 1 but wont rule out option 2 just yet.

1 Like

According to that poster, they no showed a couple of HS visits. And got caught prioritizing 4 and 5 stars despite what they’ve said. Finally, apparently they’re trying to leverage their Clemson success in their pitch and it’s not hitting.

I don’t go over to the Sabre usually so I have no clue how looped in that guy is.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Interesting I’d love a 2nd source there. If they no show a visit with no explanation that’s obviously bad. But not suprised they prioritize 4 and 5s that’s the name of the game and all HS coaches know that. Also hard to believe anyone would ve shocked or upset they reference Clemson success kinda what got him the job.

3 Likes

I will say on the flip side, I’m glad that the coaching staff did try and go after some big time prospects in this cycle. And I’d consider it more of a problem if TE didn’t use his pedigree as a multi-time National Championship winning coach, that should absolutely be used as a selling point along with the QB’s and RB’s he was able to get drafted.

The problem with this year’s recruiting is we missed on pretty much all of our big targets, and I think were too quick to take on some of these guys that have 0 Power 5 offers. With this being a small class you’re allowed to be more selective than they’ve been but it’s not the end of the world if this class ends up being meh. What will hurt is if we have another year of .500 play and the recruiting momentum continues to stagnate, life without Brennan and this receiving core may not be very fun in the near future.

2 Likes

Yeah, Clemson comment was more-so that staff may have rested on that laurel too much.

Recruiting has been poor. Word is that ‘24 isn’t starting out optimistically either. Nothing to sugarcoat there.

Really need a strong season for momentum in my opinion. With this strength of schedule and the returning offense/Brennan, it’s going to be really uphill if we step backwards this year.

4 Likes

At the end of the day success on the field will determine recruiting success more than any factor

3 Likes

There’s definitely something that’s not right, just not clear how serious or how long term it’ll be. He’s a new coach, but so are the coaches at Duke and VT, and they’re both out-recruiting us right now. They’ve both got more recruits and higher rated recruits. So being new is an excuse to some degree, but this staff aren’t the only ones in that situation, and they seem to be doing the worst of the new staffs in the conference.

Anyway, like you said, results on the field will make a huge difference. And it’s nowhere near panic time yet. But something is up, and I’d love to hear more about what exactly it is (although I know it’s unlikely we’ll hear anything from a reputable source). When you a hire a big-time coordinator from a winning program who is as personable and well-respected as Tony Elliott seems to be, why is that not translating at all on the trail? It’s weird. But anyway, we’ll see.

3 Likes

My guess is the recruiting thing will sort it self out in time. TE is allowed to have a slow start/misstep. I think he is smart enough and humble enough to understand and learn from mistakes. As @MaineWahoo said it’s so difficult to read the situation when it’s all shadow posters sharing details that are unverified…

4 Likes

Eh I think this is a bit misleading. Yea Tech’s recruits are slightly higher but they are struggling mightily as well. It’s not like Pry is out here getting 4 stars. On rivals their average rating is 2.83 and ours is 2.67. That’s such a small difference it’s meaningless.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Is this common in football?

2 Likes