Interesting Terry Kirby interview on here

What was your impression of his comments when they turned to UVa’s present-day football success?

One thing that stood out to me was that he put so much emphasis on in-state football recruiting of the most-publicized players in the state.

I should say that in my opinion at least, high school football in Virginia is not what it was when he was playing for Tabb. He says that he would put high school football in Virginia up against the high school football from any state in the country.

I don’t know about high school football in far-away states, but in Virginia, and I’m talking about even before COVID-19 hit, it’s just not as good as it was back in the 1980’s. The numbers are down even at the high schools that are known as dynasty high schools, and I attribute that mostly to the head injury scare.

And some of the best players are going to Florida to play their high school football at a private high school, IMG.

Did quick scan of Alabama football roster. 0 players listed as being Virginia kids. To your point lot of elite players go to Florida or wherever for prep years so who knows. For me Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and even Louisiana produce year in and year out best HS talent. And lot from NJ as well Back in Kirby’s time (which is mine as well) VA was loaded with talent

2 Likes

ACC defensive player of the yr from Hampton is a crabber plays for ND. There’s talent to be had, the Va schools don’t secure it. Is it Fl Ga Tx Ohio and Cal? No but solid with the elite being very elite.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I also noticed on TV that Chris Tyree, a freshman at Notre Dame who UVa wanted from the Richmond area, scored a TD in Notre Dame’s last game. Tyree is little, but that only seems to make him faster. He was considered one of the fastest high school players in the country last year. Thomas Dale High was his school, yeah. He visited our campus several times.

Thanks. Kirby was saying how he was the top high school football player in the country, and he could have gone to any college he wanted, and people couldn’t believe that he was going to Virginia…and that his cousin, Chris Slade, was one of the best linebackers in the country, and that they wanted to establish a tradition at UVa, which they did. But you know…

Anyway, it’s interesting that Terry :grinning: lives in Florida now. His son is going to be a future prospect, but it’s too soon to know just how good. I remember that Terry Kirby already had a sister at Clemson on a track and field scholarship, but he picked UVa anyway. :grinning: His older brother, Wayne, was a major league baseball player.

1 Like

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah was a former UVA commit too before the Irish flipped him about ten days before signing day (he decommited from UVA then and then picked Notre Dame on signing day after an official visit a few days prior).

2 Likes

former Bethel Bruin

1 Like

Roger that