Introducing the first LRA Showcase (Jan 15th, CHS)

I might be leaping to too many conclusions based on your last name and Chase’s dorm (same as mine, I was one year later), but I think your mom may have been my association dean! Very cool. I never got the opportunity to meet her in person (which seemed fine, given that the folks I knew who went to her office were mostly discussing less than pleasant academic things), but she was great at orientation. Hope she’s well.

2 Likes

Haha not leaping too far at all. Dean Walker is my mom. She was at UVa for most of the 90s and the reason I’m such a UVa fan. Most traditional students only needed to stop by her office is something went wrong. But she had a ton of athletes that required a bit more nuance. I practically grew up in Garrett Hall. Guessing you were in Tuttle or Lile?

4 Likes

Yeah, Tuttle. Was suitemates with Courtney Alexander.

2 Likes

Couple of my good friends from first year were suitemates with Daryl Presley and Scott Johnson. I had a couple track guys in my suite up the hill from Tuttle.

2 Likes

King Tuttle! same here

3 Likes

I remember passing Chase Metheny walking around grounds… then passing Elena Kravchenko from the women’s team (who was the tallest woman in NCAA basketball at the time at 6’10")… I couldn’t figure out why they weren’t dating… it just didn’t make sense!

3 Likes

So… off topic, but Svetlana Volnaya was the other Belarussian on the team when I was in school. She had to have been a heartbreaker… loved passing her on Emmet. :wink:

3 Likes

Nice! I had a buddy up there, too. I probably knew your good friends, too, back in the day.

It wound up being a great location, esp. for late night garlic sticks from the Treehouse. Although that Pizza Hut also managed to make the only pizza I didn’t like. Shame it’s just a memory…

2 Likes

The girl I dated at the time used to work there… she used to give everyone an extra chicken wing in every box just to be nice… did you ever get an extra wing??? LOL!

2 Likes

You may not wanna know the answer to that question hometeam

8 Likes

Double entendre for the win I see. I lose the internet tonight.

1 Like

Dang I loved that pizza. And the half court right across the street. sneaky great location for sure

1 Like

Lol, no extra wings for me.

1 Like

I think that was sacrificed to AFC construction my first year. We had to trudge up to Slaughter to get destroyed by Raleigh Harbour and eventually understand that center court was no place for us.

(and sorry for threadjacking the LRA showcase thread, which looks very cool!)

2 Likes

hah now there’s a name that takes me back

The breadsticks were the only thing I ever got there. One of my friends got a parking ticket there while getting breadsticks and called it the most expensive breadsticks ever (I’m sure the guy who paid for pizza with Bitcoin 10 years ago will disagree). Maybe once a year I’ll get the Pizza Hut breadsticks from one of their Target locations just for the nostalgia (and only the nostalgia because those things are actually really awful to eat as an adult).

2 Likes

Tuttle Beach Suite here - 1974-75.

Edit - back then there was only the Dell and Mem Gym. Usually two full courts and two half courts going full time. FTs to shoot your way on. Game to 11, winners stay. Center court was fun in the early afternoon. Some of the team would make their way down and play with us scrubs. Otis Fulton bringing the ball down, Bobby Stokes playing center, etc. Then the rest of the team showed up - became big boy basketball. They hit each other harder than the football players did scrimmaging…

4 Likes

Yessir. those games were real and important. we also had North Grounds in my time but it didnt fill up like Slaughter

2 Likes

So they put all the hoops fans and the hoops players in Tuttle.

3 Likes

Fully hijacked this thread. Yes and soccer dudes girls were all near us in the dorm behind. We had an awesome crew at Tuttle. Womens team there as well or close

3 Likes