Is Gus Gerard the best player to leave early?

it was awesome.Welcome @Hoobert So glad to hear you enjoyed it. Means a lot to see posts and stories like this!

5 Likes

I was at that UNC game in January, 1974. Actually, Gerard put two moves on Jones that afternoon, both came on one-on-one fast breaks. In the first, he did the behind the back dribble and pulled up for a 12’ jump shot. The second one was as you described. He put the ball behind his back as though he were repeating that dribble, and then brought it back around and sailed through the air, laying the ball over the rim. It was spectacular. Both moves separated Jones from his jock, and that wasn’t a feat seen often.

6 Likes

Thank you for this podcast. Growing up in C’ville, I knew his name, but Gus was gone before I got to UVa. All of the podcasts are excellent, but this one was remarkable. It’s a cautionary tale, yet one of resilience. Great work!

8 Likes

Great first post Pam and thank you so much. We all love GG

3 Likes

Yes! thank u @pfsprouse. appreciate that. Welcome aboard! What was your first memory of UVA?

2 Likes

Gus was best player at the U I saw other than Ralph. Saw that move and indelibly etched in my mind

4 Likes

the Legend of Double G keeps growing Dont call it a comeback!

2 Likes

I was at that game as well sitting above the opposite basket, so I had a great view. Gus made Jones look silly on that play. Gus was an amazing player. The podcast was excellent.

4 Likes

Barry Parkhill, I think…and going to a UVa football game when I was 15 against Vanderbilt and we actually won. I entered UVa in '74 when both Terry Holland and Sonny Randall were new. It was an epic year! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes
5 Likes

even having done the podcasts these reads are an complete must. Love it

6 Likes

lol appreciate it!

5 Likes