Italy trip - no complaining

Enjoy!

1 Like

Prego!

1 Like

congrats!

4 Likes

My favorite saying from our time there. It is used in so many ways - and all are exciting!

1 Like

Its like youre welcome for an youre welcome? hahah

Hold on who went to Italy? Is the Lega Basket Serie A our new conference? Those road trips gonna be hell.

3 Likes

It’s like “welcome” “of course” “come with me” all at once. In any case, I’m going to enjoy whatever is about to happen

2 Likes

Spaghetti!

1 Like

Prego means Please… like Bitte means Please in German… but Europeans use please for both Please and You’re Welcome… except for Spanish which says De Nada or Of Nothing for You’re Welcome.

So Prego/Bitte can be please take, or please follow, or you’re welcome for eating my ice cream… etc.

1 Like

Obrigado

So… in Portuguese… with all the new gender fluid stuff… how do you delineate between Obrigado and Obrigada?

ha. women say obrigadA and men obrigadO.

but obrigado for either is acceptable Homies dont wanna be caught saying obrigada thats for sure

Cool dudes like us say 'brigado or my favorite Valeu!

2 Likes

When I was preparing coverage for the World Cup and the Olympics, I spent about four years visiting Brazil pretty regularly, and I thought it would help to learn some Portuguese. It was a struggle for me, especially with the regional variations in pronunciation. Figuring out the obrigado/obrigada distinction was my first real test. I eventually got good enough to order food, give directions to taxis, and tell the hotel clerk that my room was too cold. Stuff like that. But there also was the time I thought I was asking a waiter for a spoon, and it turns out I had actually requested a rabbit.

4 Likes

ha. great distinction there. and Brasilians are very literal. and also always wanna help any gringo trying to speak portugues. Coelho- colher kinda the same

1 Like

@jazznutUVA is right regarding the various uses of prego, though it literally is the first person singular conjugation of pregare, which means to beg. So it is “I beg.”

Sounds a whole lot cooler in Italian.

Too much grappa last night for those three.

10 Likes

Love the old school, small facility vibe here.

6 Likes

That super small and narrow locker room is giving me “what I say is the law!” Norman Dale vibes.

7 Likes

Reece in the center.

4 Likes

Reece!! apparently had 5 early on.

3 Likes