Italy Trip

I agree with that. My working assumption is if we get to a final four (or beyond) in the '25 or '26 tourney then he might retire after that to go out with a bang.

Keep in mind: I know nothing

2 Likes

Of course we should partner - this would have been golden content for ACCN during the summer. So some of the blame lies with the ACC, who absolutely should be pushing schools to give this content to the Network.

So I guess the same applies to the ACC: For a conference that needs money, their failure to be creative about ways to monetize is incredible to me.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if the 2022 class is his ‘one last ride’ group.

2 Likes

…aaaaaaand it’s time to mute the Italy thread

13 Likes

Why does it “feel” like he is going to retire in 2-3 years? The game has changed and his recruiting has actually picked up, as he’s hit a bit of a stride. If he was going to retire it would have to be another Pandemic like situation which brings down the program for another 2-3 years. I think this first pandemic may have lit a fire under him as he wasn’t able to capitalize on the national championship in recruiting.

3 Likes

Tony has always striked me as someone whose vision of his life purpose is beyond basketball. Although Im sure he finds basketball meaningful in terms of his impact on the youngins and their development as players and people.

Could easily see him retiring after 60 and going to serve on missions or whatnot.

5 Likes

Worth noting Dick first retired around 58 (might’ve been 57 still). Tony’s 53. So 2026 would put him right in the range his dad originally retired.

2 Likes

Gonna be wild watching Tony and Bronco both coach Nebraska out of their retirements in 2030. JK I killed the thread anyways. (also Bronco is a quitter even if I miss the air raid).

10 Likes

I set the O/U at 5.5 more seasons for CTB. Think he wants to give it a go with the current group plus nxt years and I also think he wants to leave his successor (JWilly?!?!?) with some toys in the closet to use.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Is that John Anderson? Hey, that’s John Anderson. Dick Bennett is great.

2 Likes

Incredible. And it just hit me, what if CTB went to Duke…

1 Like

This used to scare me. It no longer does for a bunch of reasons.

2 Likes

The Dunn poster dunk was finally released!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjY9JyeIS8K/

Third of the four highlights, hope I didn’t oversell it.

The first highlight, catching an outlet pass in transition and taking three dribbles before laying it in also illustrates his general handle at this point. One dribble too high, another too far in front. Didn’t look smooth at all.

8 Likes

Greatest dunk in uva history

2 Likes

Handle is loose, and he needs to increase coordination in general, but at his height and athleticism, if we have spacing on the perimeter (BVP, Traudt), he can get to the rim from the perimeter, which we haven’t really seen since Dre left.

There are a few clips where he did that, including the one that Traudt finished v Orange B.

3 Likes

I don’t think you over sold it. I think Elijah Gertrude just committed and made everyone else look averagely athletic by comparison lol

8 Likes

I actually think it’s an amazing dunk but a shitty camera angle. Cue the debate over video feeds!

2 Likes

Absolutely did not oversell. Also these things are always way more impressive when you see them in person especially in such a small gym.

3 Likes

While I dont disagree or agree I think you are looking way into those two dribbles hahahaah. I get it. Maybe he saw all that open space ahead and got excited after Reece!! dropped that dime to start the … fast break

But look at the third on where he catches clean, dribbles once left, back to his right for the yam over and on that dude. Pretty high level shit I think

3 Likes