Jeff Goodman knows what’s up

JWilly is the best assistant in the ACC.

10 Likes

so sweet…

4 Likes

I’m sure all of us already knew that but I’d just as soon kept it as a secret. Want to keep JWilly at UVA as long as we can, lol

3 Likes

Definitely agree, but Bennett’s quote sounds like he’s eager for Williford to get his shot. Bringing Williford on staff was what excited me most about the Bennett hire at the time.

4 Likes

Exactly the same for me and guys from the Holland and JJ era. We had all kinda lost touch with the program after JJ. Coach Bennet through Jay Willy made a huge point to get guys back involved in a very genuine way (shocker TB being genuine). Any time I have been to a practice with a friend EACH coach walks over and says hello and makes a point to welcome whoever is with me. It goes a long way. I vividly remember Coach McKay the first time I was back doing so …

7 Likes

It’s going to hurt to see Jay Willy go his own way one day, but he absolutely deserves it. After the National Championship I sent him a note completely out of the blue, and shared a few personal thoughts etc. I was shocked when he wrote back a few days later with a nice personal note. It really showed me the content of his character. I was a fan of his before, but that put it over the top. After hearing him on the JWilly show the past few weeks and getting to “know him better” there is no doubt, that the man can coach and he gets “it”

7 Likes

When he goes think Jonhnny Carpenter or the guy from New Zealand gets promoted or TB looks outside the program?

2 Likes

Great question. I feel like CTB looked in-house so far and that trend would continue. But i defer to others who know more of the inner workings.

2 Likes

My guess is TB stays internal for that move like when Ron left although that was more obvious to fill the position with Jason I guess

2 Likes

Tony takes care of his guys (so much is obvious with his extra salary going to assistants), so hopefully Willy is around awhile longer. But yeah one day he will likely move on, and I agree it’ll probably be an internal move, my guess would be Soderberg but I have no idea.

Whoever takes Soderberg’s old spot is what really interests me. I think the obvious choice is Kirk Penney (NZ, it maybe he’s an Aussie, referenced above). Penney is the famous mastermind who revolutionized our offense after UMBC and is referred to as like a little brother to TB. If I’m correct, we’re over staffed, so Penney can’t even be on the court for practices. I’m sure he’s collaborating with TB nonstop, but I’d love to see his influence grow given the chance to be in the gym with these guys more one day

3 Likes

JWill is what, early 40’s? Would love to see him stick around 2-4 years for another Natty :slight_smile: leave to take a P5 job, do great and come back in say 8-10 years after that for his own 10-15 year run…

4 Likes

man I cant believe it but Jay is 46 or 47 now… other side of early 40s with dudes like me

3 Likes

Kirk was running Villes scout offense this March when I was in town. Can really still play.

3 Likes

Kirk can’t be that old is he? I think like he’s my age or close to it ( I don’t want to admit I’m old)

he almost looks as good as you Dragon

2 Likes

@DFresh11 That’s great to hear how welcome you and all the alums have been around the team. I loved Williford as a player. There were a couple of times with the previous staff people speculated Leitao might bring him in as an assistant, and back then it seemed like a missed opportunity. But he joined at the right time and has been a perfect fit on Bennett’s staff. It’s awesome he’s been part of all the success.

4 Likes

Ha, he still has those boyish good looks… I can’t say the same for myself.

hahaha. and his 2 boys look a lot like him. they get lots of TV time during games from seats behind scorers table area. Jay do think hes cute too

2 Likes

yea man. lot of patience but the stars did align. Samchez story on telling Jay NOT to come to Tonys press conference is a classic

3 Likes

I love that story. That was probably the interview/podcast that got me hooked on LRA. Realized this spot wasn’t like the others.

3 Likes