JMU Game Thread

Look at last years game. JMU couldnt make shit in first 10 minutes. Somehow we let em stay in that game

1 Like

The Florida State game has me shook a bit. But our guys remember last year and will want revenge. Iā€™m calling FSU game a wake-up, and expect fire from our guys for tonight.

2 Likes

Hoos by 15

My prediction?

Animated GIF

11 Likes

Yeah, but that was last year. We are soooo much better, and theyā€™re marginally better.

Iā€™m also with @BDragon and Mr. T on this one. Tony may not carry grudges, but I guarantee the players do.

4 Likes

Oh am sure TB is well awareā€¦

4 Likes

They have a larger efficiency margin from last year to this year than we do.

Not trying to be a downer, but Iā€™m way less optimistic. They rely on press and pressure to turn it over. If Reece is hobbled thatā€™s a problem (weā€™ve seen Armaan and iMac struggle in pressure this year).

I think we win but donā€™t feel great, especially after FSU performance.

3 Likes

I think we jump out to a double digit lead within the first 10 minutes. JMU closes the half strong to cut it to 5 or so which freaks everyone out. We stay in control throughout the second half with a 8 to 15 point lead. Win by 13

12 Likes

2 Likes

Survive and advance

2 Likes

If Reece is hobbled badly still, Kihei is probably playing 40 minutes

1 Like

I think their game against UNC is instructive. Both teams shot poorly from 3, and, while UNCā€™s 44.3% overall was not great, it was much better than JMUā€™s 34.8%.

The difference was that JMU simply didnā€™t have an answer on either end for Bacot and Nance. I think theyā€™ll have a similar problem against us. But, as I said, if they get hot from three, things change dramatically. Friedel was 0-9 in that game. If he goes just 3-9 and Morse 3-8, that game gets a whole lot closer.

1 Like

So we rest Reece and run: Kihei, Armaan, Dunn, BVP, Shedrick and let Kadin feast inside for 25

3 Likes

Honestly, not a bad idea.

Realistically, if Tony rests Reece :bangbang:, Jayden still starts, so the starting lineup is:

Kihei, Armaan, Jayden, Kadin, and ā€¦ who?

4 Likes

Somewhat instructive. Those 3 point attempts were wide open and misses seemed flukey watching the game as it happened. I donā€™t think weā€™ll be as poor defensively as UNC, but wouldnā€™t expect the UNC game to be something illustrative of a broader trend. Our bigs should do well if we break the pressure.

My guess would be McKneely although Iā€™d prefer Dunn. Although I doubt we are resting Reece

2 Likes

I agree that UNCā€™s defense is nothing like ours. My original point was that 3pt shooting is the wildcard. Weā€™ve had good and bad games shooting. They had a bad game shooting against UNC, whereas just hitting a few more threes makes that a much closer game.

I think that weā€™ll handle the pressure for the most part and I think that our bigs will feast.

1 Like

I think resting Reece :bangbang: will be game-dependent. Heā€™ll probably start, but if we are blowing them out, his minutes will drop dramatically. Wouldnā€™t be surprised to see Chase get a bit of a run in such a scenario.

But in the Reece :bangbang: sits scenario, yeah, McKneely will start, but Dunn will play a lot.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see a scenario where Reece doesnā€™t start and play meaningful minutes unless he aggravated the injury against FSU or in practice. His not playing tonight would basically be an admission that he should not have played against FSU and I really donā€™t believe Tony would take a risk like that with one of his players.

11 Likes

Agreed. I donā€™t expect him to be much more affective than the other day but heā€™ll play

1 Like

Where is this discussion coming from? Reece is obviously going to play, and play a lot, and be very good.

2 Likes