Justin Anderson and Europe

I know a lot of the posters and “mods” here are well connected to the program, obviously. I’m curious to hear about Justin Anderson’s decision to stay stateside, rather than go the Euro route? Any insight? Just find it interesting.

1 Like

A few of us had speculated/wondered about NBA years of service stuff being a consideration but that’s a bit of a guess.

1 Like

I think Justin Anderson’s caption on his recent instagram post captures why

Regardless of whether or not he should go overseas, he does get to say “I did it on my own terms” which in itself is a reward in this life.

4 Likes

probably has made enough money so he can stay close to home and potentially get a call up.

2 Likes

Yea pretty sure he made almost half a million in late season call up appearances last year. Plus whatever his G League salary was the rest of the season. If he repeats that down the stretch for the next couple of years he might not be too far behind where he would be financially playing in Europe anyway.

3 Likes

Some bored/procrastination googling here – after 3 years of service, you get a pension. At 10 years of service, NBA pension is like around $100k per year once you turn 50. Or more if you wait until 62 ($215k).

At 3 years of service, you get healthcare coverage for life (presumably health insurance? And presumably not something off an exchange). At 10 years, you get the same for your spouse and kids.

Does the G-league count towards years of service? Don’t know, but seems reasonable for a guy in Justin’s position (multi-year NBA vet)

Justin seems to be in his 8th year of service (assuming G-league counts).

So even assuming no more call-ups (those 10-day contracts aren’t happening as much this year) he gets 40k or so salary, plus per diem, and whatever local endorsement $$ he can get. Plus stuff like coaching in the NBAPA camps in the summer, which he seems to like. And more years of service towards the pension max. I think he’s probably getting close to where the overseas salaries don’t look that great financially, unless he’s really looking to travel a bit or learn a new language.

8 Likes

FWIW…

5 Likes

I think JA fell into a good spot he got the rookie deal which paid him out well and he continued with multiple 2ways Gleagues 10days. As mentioned above all that meant he was building up a pension working towards healthcare etc. All while remaining near home and family and friends.

Playing overseas can be amazing but it can be extremely difficult and lonely especially if you’re in a place where you don’t speak the language or have a support system. That could have been something JA wasn’t interested in.

8 Likes

I can’t imagine G League service time counts toward an NBA pension unless it’s someone on an NBA contract getting sent down to the G League to get playing time. If I’m not mistaken, the pension is run through the union (because the NBA itself is not an employer and each team doesn’t have a separate pension plan) and a guy isn’t in the union unless he’s on an NBA roster.

MLB service time credit is definitely only given when a guy is on the 26 man active major league roster or major league DL.

3 Likes

I have to think this is right.

Edit: @haney s thought was does a 10 day contract qualify you or not, MLB if you step on the field at any time for even one pitch you are in

3 Likes

What I saw was just one day counts, but not sure if it has to be NBA. Maybe training camp contract? Not really sure

2 Likes

Details of NBA and contracts and etc etc is so convoluted My first roommate in NYC long ago is now the Yankees GM and as an assistant GM he did lots of the AAA players’ contracts etc. was very different then

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of that guy. :joy: Forgot you knew Cashman.

Growing up with Steinbrenner Sr, I’m still amazed a GM can last more than a season.

3 Likes

MLB measures service time by days. 172 days to get a season of credit (there’s 186 days in a season, so you don’t have to be on a roster an entire season to get full credit for that season).

43 days and you get a pension. 10 years and you get a full pension.

Not sure how the NBA calculates it.

3 Likes

Cash is the man.

3 Likes

Dang. I thought you just needed one at bat to be in for MLB

1 Like

The Brewers released Lorenzo Cain on the day he hit his 10 years. Nice of them to know exactly the date he needed and to keep him on the roster until that exact date. What does designated for assignment mean given the Lorenzo Cain news?

3 Likes

Look Louie GIF by Sheets & Giggles

4 Likes

Good post

1 Like

The NBA year of service is on contract during the regular season for 1 game

5 Likes