Keels Sets Date, UVA eyes transfers (blog)

15 Likes

Ganttā€™s offensive game looks like a less reliable Mike Scottā€¦ love the athleticism out of him and Igiehon

3 Likes

Love all the little up and under moves from Tre Mitchell (I think Iā€™m calling them the right thing) and his work to establish position in the post. Also has a highlight against UVA in that montage at 4:29. Can see why heā€™ll be so highly sought after.

With Gantt and Igiehon, I also love their athleticism/frames and maybe they could fill that Akil, Darion mold. That said, Ganttā€™s shooting numbers areā€¦ not good. And I hope injuries havenā€™t undermined Igiehonā€™s athleticism. Both are interesting but somewhat unproven like HGN said. Curious whether staff ends up really pursuing at all.

3 Likes

I more interested to see what happens for UVa with the attempt to lure a transfer big than any other spot.

2 Likes

Another guy they have some history with. 6ā€™6 forward, more of a wing player PSU mostly used as a small 4-man.

3 Likes

@HoozGotNext Would you wait or grab up transfer immediately?

Iā€™d be all over Mitchell. Thatā€™s it right now. Not that my opinion means anything.

5 Likes

Seems Auburn fans are pretty livid about the Powell situation and want Kentucky punished for tampering. Will be interesting if Powell is trying to make it look like a process to cover their tracks or if he is genuinely considering other schools.

3 Likes

Nice pickup for them!

1 Like

As they should!

I agree about Mitchell!

I thought/was hoping that we might reach out to Stef Smith from Vermont. Iā€™ve watched him play a number of times and think he would be a great it for us for one year. Heā€™s been well-coached under Becker, heā€™s quick and can create is own shot, and heā€™s made 198 career 3-pointers at a 39 percent clip.

2 Likes

Just a thought! Regarding the Keels announcement date and it being on Easter Sunday. Some were wondering why Easter Sunday? That tells me his family and faith may be very important to him.

1 Like

Jamir Harris G from American. 20ppg scorer. Been out there a few days and we arenā€™t on the contact list. Only 6ā€™2 but fits the ā€˜bucketā€™ getter type. Just putting him out there as a lot of high majors already in touch. As someone mentioned yesterday (a lot like NFL free agency) it will be interesting to see which teams and players jump early and which take their time to fully evaluate options. The more high major programs that jump on players early could reduce competition for the Hoos in the weeks to come. Just something to keep an eye on

1 Like

You may be right but others may reach a different conclusion since he is drawing attention to himself on an important religious holiday. I donā€™t think you can read too much into it either way. To your point regarding family, the date may simply be that he will have extended family around for the holiday and wants to do it while they are present. Given how tight lipped he has been about his decision, his extended family likely does not know his decision, so it would be fun to make the reveal while they are around.

Auburn fans always livid about something it seems

3 Likes

You have a point regarding ā€œdrawing attention to himselfā€. However, I was thinking the same regarding the family and being together on Easter.

1 Like

Perhaps we shouldnā€™t try to draw insights into the character of high school athletes based on the small glimmer we get through social media

9 Likes

Good point! Wasnā€™t trying to do that. Honestly, I was just trying to emphasize that heā€™s probably a young man of strong faith and that may be why he picked Easter.

2 Likes