Late recruiting cycle

Oh I think Towns has already told Ohio State he’s coming. Either Duke reached out after that , or somewhere between final list and decision and Towns just wanted it on record that they were an option.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Being a Harvard/ Duke guy would put him at the very tip of the douchebag spear.

10 Likes

Okay. Someone please enlighten me. If Towns couldn’t make it to Charlottesville, during the current crisis, to meet with the coaches & team, and have Virginia’s medical staff evaluate his knee, how did he make it to Durham? And, if he didn’t make it to Durham, would Krzyzewski offer him a scholarship without a face-to-face and having Duke’s medical people evaluate the knee? For some odd reason, this doesn’t seem right to me. I feel reasonably confident Virginia has been eliminated, and that Towns will go to Ohio State, but the whole Duke thing seems like a bit of fantasy, if not ego-stroking PR.

1 Like

I’d be surprised if Towns was going to let a school’s doctors examine his knee on a visit… Even if he’s 100% healthy, it’s all downside. Recruits commit without visiting all the time. Jaemyn Brakefield did to Duke not long ago. They never even sent an assistant to meet him, much less K. We’ve had a few do it too. All that said I expect you’re right. He’ll still pick Ohio State.

Why would a school offer an injured prospect without a physical? If there has been a serious injury, that could be a waste of a $60K+ scholarship as well as the lost opportunity to recruit someone else. A bit of a pig-in-a-poke, so to speak. Then, again, even after nearly 70 years, folks do continue to surprise me.

4 Likes

Who has committed to IVA without visiting?

Clark and Stattmann both did. They were both somewhat high pressure situations, so it was understandable. So did Marco. Last scholarship, he just didn’t want to miss his chance.

1 Like

Replace the word offer with show interest in… Jake is still new to this. He’s doing a great job getting information about who’s involved with transfers though.

Johnson is expected to graduate and be immediately eligible. One year left. He’s a shooter, over 41% from 3 last year, 38% for his career.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1240812289168748552

5 Likes

That tweet about UVA involvement with Gardner-Webb transfer Nate Johnson has been deleted, fwiw.

3 Likes

Anything on Tape?

Well Duke or Ohio State will find out tonight…along with everyone else…

Announcing it on ESPN… Nothing wrong with it, but that doesn’t really seem like a UVA move based on recent history. Feels a little like Johnny Juzang, I’m not surprised we aren’t in the final two.

3 Likes

Anyone with the ego to announce their decision on Sports Center strikes me as a person who wouldn’t fit that well with the culture of UVa basketball.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. He has evidently loved all the attention he has been getting

3 Likes

Sorry haven’t been around this weekend. Pretty sure UVA isn’t involved with Tape. They just reached out back when he first started looking around over the winter.

4 Likes

Espn probably asked Towns to do it. They need all the content that can get.

4 Likes

Nate Johnson, G&W transfer, talks recruiting. No UVA mention.

1 Like

Team seems pretty deep next year. What type of player would Bennett be interested in adding? Do you see Hauser playing most of his minutes next year at 4? Expect to see many minutes for Shedrick and McKoy?