Louisville Game Thread (Wednesday 2/15, 7pm est ESPNU)

I was at that ODU game, part of a short-lived Governor’s Classic series pitting in-state teams at the Richmond Coliseum, which is maybe the worst venue I’ve ever watched a big time college game.

Bub was out injured that game so Teven was starting (hard to remember him starting 9 games that year). Blaine Taylor’s last year on the ODU bench before Jeff Jones took over. That ODU team was so bad that they went 20 games where beating us in Richmond was their only win, while losing to five teams with 200+ KenPom ratings. Huge part of missing the NCAAT that year despite the Hoos finishing 4th in the ACC.

5 Likes

Atleast when we plaYed there they had ice under the floor for hockey. It was freezing and slippery ha

5 Likes

Word

3 Likes

Remember when the Hoos played down there in 01 or 02 against Tennessee maybe and they had to call the game at the half because the water from the rink kept seeping through the floor and causing puddles?

4 Likes

Joe Harris at pg was a HORRIBLE experiment lol. Barnette wasn’t that much better (tying it back into louisville since Im pretty sure Barnette was on Chris Mack’s Louisville staff).

4 Likes

Ha. No surprise

1 Like

It was Michigan State in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Called the game a few minutes after starting the 2nd quarter. Sucked cuz we had a small lead at the time.

5 Likes

That’s right it was MSU and that was when they were humming.

I was there. It was MSU. The people who tend the parking garage had taken off during the game and we were stuck in the parking garage for quite a period of time. I will never attend another game at the Richmond Coliseum.

4 Likes

Talk about pouring salt in a wound.

1 Like

admin perms

3 Likes

Saw somewhere line opened up -17.5 Hoos favored on the road.

Who you takin?

• UVA -17.5
  • Louisville +17.5

0 voters

I think we win comfortably but don’t cover

3 Likes

I dunno i like the action give me Hoos -17.5 andyhe O128

Hoos due for a blowout

6 Likes

We did play the Vols at the Coliseum during that timeframe. I went to that game (was at the MSU hockey match and the ODU debacle as well). The Hoos beat UT and ended up ranked No. 2 in the AP poll shortly thereafter. Then we totally collapsed and missed the NCAAs, I believe. It’s like the Coliseum jinx. I’ll be glad when they finally demolish that place later this year.

2 Likes

Izzo had a great line in his presser that night. Somebody asked him his thoughts on the Coliseum. He said the brown exterior and all the brown seats inside made it feel like they were playing inside a UPS truck.

2 Likes

Gotta be the 2012-13 season ODU loss as it literally cost us an at-large bid. Their RPI was 200+ and if you may recall were coached by a then alcoholic Blaine Taylor (happy to say he’s 10 years sober now and works at ODU in their athletic department as a fundraiser).

5 Likes

We actually did make the tourney that year but got bounced in round 1 by the Zags. That Tennessee game was a blast though, I remember watching that on Christmas break in like middle school. Fun team that year but just couldn’t play an ounce of defense

1 Like

Yup. I realized after my post that the UT game was late December 2000/early January 2001. We fell out of the rankings, but didn’t completely collapse. That Gonzaga game was a 5/12 matchup, and was kind of their launching pad into national relevance. I think Dan Dickau was the star of that team. Of course, Roger Mason went pro after that season for the Hoos and the slide toward Pete’s dismissal started with the next season. We didn’t make the tournament again until 2007 with SS and JR.

2 Likes

Actually the Michigan State game occurred during the 01-02 season. We made the NCAAs (only appearance during Gillen years) in 00-01 where we lost to the Zags.