Louisville Game Thread (Wednesday 2/15, 7pm est ESPNU)

We are losing this game

3 Likes

Nope

4 Likes

Nope refuse to lose.

Also @Hooandtrue stop stealing @WFS_HOO bit.

17 Likes

Best team we’ve played all season. They have balance across the board. Their games have been a complete team effort!

1 Like

Way to get out in front of a catastrophic loss. That’s a smart move from a seasoned UVA fan.

2 Likes

Would be the worst loss in Tony’s tenure here? That 2012 ODU team was bad. UMBC was moreso the tourney implications but they were an average team in Kenpom I thought.

2 Likes

Can’t underplay how bad the UMBC loss throw the Kenpom out the door a 1 lost to a 16 and that’s what is forever talked about every March Madness since. No one outside of the fanbase will remember an in conference loss in Feb. At the very least UMBC is the most infamous.

4 Likes

Of course it’s Wed. Feb 15

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ve had Cornette this year. Maybe early in the season?

2 Likes

I want Chase Coleman to be able to drop some dimes and score this game. If we lose I do not know what will occur. A loss would actually be worse than UMBC if UMBC wasn’t on such a big stage.

How much Caffaro action do we expect to see btw? I want to see 40 minutes from him.

Who decided this game should be on ESPNU? I won’t complain but I’m sure some other teams’ fans would have valid reason to.

4 Likes

BOOOOO. Get that weak talk out of here.

Louisville is going to be in hell trying to score against us with one playable guard

2 Likes

I think the worst one by performance was a 6 pt home loss to Seattle in 2010-11, that wasn’t particularly close the whole way (avg deficit of 8 pts).

2 Likes

Nah, I wouldn’t even put it in the discussion. It might be the worst TEAM we would have lost to, but I think worst loss has a much different connotation.

Using KenPom end of season rankings, the worst loss** of Bennett era so far is #276 ODU, Sat Dec 22, 2012. Louisville is currently #295, so they would take the crown.

Fwiw, @AdventiveQuasar Seattle was #2, I think.

** But then I used the same nomenclature … so basically ignore me

I am more a day of the week guy than actual dates so I hope they know the game is Wednesday (i think)

1 Like

I haven’t followed Louisville closely at all so can someone please tell me how they are THIS bad? I see a closely played game against Miami last week, a couple “closer” games but also a smattering of just absolute blow outs. Just curious how they haven’t lucked into a couple more wins throughout the year

2 Likes

I have followed them to the extent where I see their record and just start laughing. So I’m in the same boat. They do have multiple of the same guys from last year. So I don’t know why they are dramatically worse. I know they weren’t good to begin with, but this seems silly.

1 Like

Louisville realized their only chance was to trick the opposing team into showing up on the wrong day

5 Likes

I think it’s relatively simple, they have no PG’s in their rotation and very little guard depth in general. Ellis is their best player but he’s a 2 who’s been asked to run the offense for 36/40 minutes of every game this season, and he’s just not very good at being a floor general instead of a secondary ball handler and main scoring option (he is still averaging 17 PPG purely out of how much offense he has to create on his own). As a team they’re only averaging 9.5 APG as opposed to 15.8 TPG, I mean they straight up have trouble with passing and dribbling the basketball with any purpose in their half court sets. They’re a meh 3 point shooting team which is actually kinda impressive given how little spacing they get, but inside the arc it’s not pretty.

This isn’t an untalented roster, Huntley-Hatfield has a chance to get drafted and guys like Ellis/Withers/James/Curry would be solid contributors on a good number of teams. But it’s the worst roster management I’ve ever seen from a P-5 team in a given season. I don’t know how Payne is gonna turn out as an X’s and O’s guy, but given the fact that he didn’t hit the transfer portal hard last offseason for more guards and currently has 0 guards committed in 2023 after having seemingly put all his eggs in the DJ Wagner basket it’s starting look like he’s in over his head.

9 Likes

Yeah, the lack of guards is just unforgivable. When a coach looks at that roster he inherited and isn’t just calling up every half-decent PG in the Ivy League, Mountain West, and whatever other half decent kid major leagues to transfer to Louisville, I don’t know what he’s doing.

3 Likes