LOUISVILLE LEVEL 1 INFRACTIONS

Supposedly the University is having a press conference today to address the infractions…
Could this be it? Will the NCAA finally hand down a severe penalty for cheating?

4 Likes

Call me stupid, but is this lingering from the 2013 team or from the money from Adidas/sneaker money thing? It’s been so long I actually forgot what they were being punished for.

3 Likes

I think what I read on bleacher report said the 2017 adidas pay for play scandal, but I could be wrong

3 Likes

Yeah this is Brian Bowen (Adidas). Tricky case since he never actually played.

4 Likes

Ahh yea, I remember that now. Agree @HoozGotNext this is a tricky case. I have several conflicting thoughts about how/if punishment should be handed out.

2 Likes

@HoozGotNext isn’t this what the new hbo doc titled “the scheme” is about?

2 Likes

Yeah Bowen was sort of the first domino for all the FBI trials. The most clear cut bribery. NCAA violations are a different story because he left before playing. They’re taking the angle that Adidas was a booster basically.

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1257353657181507585

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1257354092961312768

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks

2 Likes

One of the things that makes this case really intriguing is that Louisville was still on probation when the alleged incident(s) occurred. At least, that is the way I remember it. The fact that Louisville dismissed both the coach and AD who were there at that time may mitigate matters somewhat, but they are eligible for the ‘death penalty’. I sort of doubt that it will come to that, but the sanctions could be severe. I think Louisville’s defense is going to be something like, ‘everyone involved lied to the FBI and no one here had any knowledge of these events’. I suspect the NCAA’s proper response to that is, “Louisville should have known.” It should be interesting. I’m curious to see if anyone decides to transfer.

3 Likes

It’s worth remembering that Duke was sanctioned for it’s improper recruitment of David Thompson, IIRC, and he never played for them, either. At least, that is the way I remember it from then. It’s been a while.

4 Likes

I don’t know the details of the Thompson case. I would assume the difference here is that the money allegedly came from a shoe company. The case will hinge on getting it to stick that they were acting on Louisville’s behalf, instead of how it was laid out in the trial as the schools being victims. Laughable I know. This is where the Feds didn’t do the NCAA any favors.

The disappointing part is it doesn’t appear the NCAA will be doing any of their own investigating. If they were interested and capable, they’d find others who were paid and did play. There’s no way Bowen was an isolated incident.

2 Likes

Was on a call earlier today with a very prominent NBA agent and he mentioned he estimated that maybe 2-3 first round draft picks have not been paid by an agent. It’s the expected norm from players at this point.

6 Likes

I have a suspicion that the huge contract Louisville had with Adidas would make them an agent acting for the school. Same as a booster. A $160 mil relationship makes connecting the dots pretty simple. The fact that Adidas is sueing its former representatives in this matter with the claim that they acted without its knowledge, and that they misappropriated the funds that were used could make for an interesting sideshow to all this. In the end, though, I think the NCAA will say that Adidas did act as an agent for the University of Louisville, and there won’t be any need for further discussion. Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Adidas relationship is used in a similar manner with other schools about to received NOAs.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t even mind the agent activity that much. There’s some recruiting tie-ins, coaches working with them to get players. But the large majority of it is after the fact, just agents trying to get at these guys early. Doesn’t give schools a competitive advantage.

3 Likes

True, I wouldn’t mind it if it stopped at that point. But the same agent also went on to say what you just implied, it goes beyond agents grabbing the players as they are redy to come out they are grabbing them as they as early as possible.

4 Likes

Right, I think that’s the meat of the accusation with NC State, arranging the deal between Dennis Smith and an agent.

4 Likes

Has a school ever been kicked out of a conference for NCAA infractions? Wouldn’t mind seeing Loserville gone.

4 Likes

I actually feel bad for Chris Mack from all my contacts he’s a good guy great coach and on the up

3 Likes

Probably a few more than 2-3 first round selections weren’t paid. I know a few agents who don’t pay and they were able to secure a few first round picks. The agent selection process is a real education.

6 Likes

You’re probably right. The whole process is crazy and the guy speaking was cynical of the whole thing to say the least. He’s not directly involved in signing players anymore but his partner is. So he is slightly removed from the process.

2 Likes