đź“Ą Mailbag: Road Woes, Recruiting Tweaks etc

25 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

With the switched focus to wing 4’s, it’s interesting the staff’s involvement with Robert Jennings last Spring.

I wish all the best for Jennings but he would have made us very undersized and contributed to scoring woes. Probably prevents us from signing Robinson. Sort of a blessing with Getter departing to derail that commitment.

2 Likes

Don’t think Jennings is getting much run here in Lubbock. So think we may have dodged one here.
I do know we were his first choice then things happened

2 Likes

F me I knew it was Hav

Great mailbag questions and answers HGN

5 Likes

“I think they would benefit from being more flexible at times. Bennett sort of typecasts in recruiting. He follows a formula to piece together players with complementary strengths. It’s kind of brilliant actually. You’ve seen the results when it all comes together.”

Appreciated this w/r/t to recruiting strategy.

Actually makes me rethink a bit why retention matters for Virginia relatively more than other teams. Bennett has put together his high school recruit puzzle more carefully and strategically than others. The challenge is that when a guy leaves unexpectedly we can’t find the exact right puzzle piece to fit in their place.

That’s different than retention mattering because guys are able to get comfortable in Virginia’s system. Of course that’s still important, but the careful emphasis on roster composition might be just as much in terms of retaining the right guys.

8 Likes

You’re still a starter, not coming in off of the bench at garbage time.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s an approach that lends itself to the team exceeding its individual talent levels (compared to teams that are piles of talent that don’t fit together), but I think you’re highlighting the vulnerability of it. Perhaps there’s a middle ground where like 8 spots are strongly defined for a particular type of player (making up a number here), and the rest are open to the best player available or something. I dunno, sounds nice to say it that way, but I’m sure there are downsides too.

3 Likes

@chavlicek15 had his own cooking show? How do we get an LRA version. I’d love to see @DavetheWave break down the efficiency numbers on cayenne pepper.

2 Likes

How did you miss Hoos Cook’n?

5 Likes

My goodness how did I miss this? So awesome love it Hav.

2 Likes

This was my favorite part of the mail bag as well and it got me thinking - if this formula is true of roster building it’s probably also true of his lineup choices.

5 Likes

Cayenne Pepper doesn’t have a good PER according to Dave The Wave. Lower than Rohde’s actually, which is basically impossible. But it’s true. But we are rooting for him- not cayenne pepper.

CP is a situational spice that needs to be used when necessary. Many coaches have been let go based on TMCP- Too Much Cayenne Pepper. I have over-spiced many a meal and ended up ordering pizza. Certain meals don’t need to be spicy and we have lost that in our culinary journeys.

Best way to think about it- it’s like our zone defense…. It needs to be used in small quantities and measured carefully. Otherwise, it’s gross and the family demands take-out.

9 Likes

Oh man, I’m full-on in the “any amount of zone ruins the whole meal,” camp.

In fact, I have a cooking blog…

4 Likes

This is true… Garlic Salt has a tremendous PER and also leads the Acc in Box plus minus… any guacamole without it should simply be tossed out… Garlic Salt and Pepper … key to seasoning a good burger.

2 Likes

Agree on garlic salt being the underrated 6th-man-but-better-than-the-starters of the spice rack.

1 Like

I’ll not contest the general premise on garlic salt being a great sixth man, but you’re dead wrong on the guacamole claim.

Lots of variations yield a good guacamole, but in my estimation the starting five are avocados, a light oil, salt, fresh garlic, and lime juice. The bench is a matter of personal preference.

No problem if you wanna use salt and fresh garlic… same difference only fresher… most I’ve seen that are bad neither use garlic nor garlic salt.