Mailbag: Small Ball, Shedrick, Recruiting, Etc

I think Ty would be an amazing coach. Intense, but amazing.

10 Likes

Ugh, this discussion is so depressing. Does the VIP section steer clear of this topic?

2 Likes

Old school here - greatest college basketball coach was John Wooden.
10 championships; unparalleled winning streaks for menā€™s basketball.

2 Likes

UCLA was ahead of its time in recruiting the best players, having an excellent program for paying players.

1 Like

I want nothing more than JWilly to remain at UVa and take over when CTB retires in 5 yrs, but I have a nagging feeling he may be moving north before then.

4 Likes

He was great until 2011. Then people kept treating him like he was great the next 10 years even though he wasnā€™t

Tbh didnā€™t care about the intensity in and of itself. Cared about the image he tried to create and the asshole he was behind closed doors - and sometimes right out in front of people to see!

5 Likes

Harris also played some 4 in 2011 and 2012.

Down the stretch in 2016, Bennett went to a lot of small ball ā€” four of Brogdon, Perrantes, Hall, Shayok and Thompson with either Gill or Tobey (with some Wilkins sprinkled into the mix as smallball 4).

Probably not coincidentally, during Bennettā€™s tenure our guards shot threes better in 2016 than in any other year ā€” 41.8% (207-495). Whatā€™s No. 2? This year ā€” so far ā€” at 40.2% from UVa guards (119-296).

8 Likes

Iā€™d prefer he gets some HC experience tbh. It seems we have TB for at least 4 more years (assuming either Bond or Traudt stay all 5). Let J Willy get his feet wet for 3-4 years then come home

2 Likes

i see the 3 guards in '19 at 40.4% (Ty, Kyle, Kihei) and then it goes to 40.8% if you include Dreā€¦ did you include someone else? kody would pull it down a bit (4/15) but the volume is so low it stays above 40% even if you drop Dre as wellā€¦

Iā€™m actually okay with the thought of JWilly leaving for the same reason. Love him to go to a small P5 get some success then come home.

3 Likes

Not Listening Fred Armisen GIF by IFC

4 Likes

My issue would be that we trust Jwilly here at Uva, donors will give him money and support, plus a model of consistency with the fan base and recruiting to take over everything AS-IS. What if he gows somehwere else and isnā€™t successful? Will it be due to his ability or lack of resources at a new place etc? I think him staying would be the right move.

3 Likes

39.5% from guards as listed on the roster in 2019 ā€” which includes Dre, Stattmann, and Key.

2023 includes Dunn, Murray and Coleman.

1 Like

Or 55

ahh, Key really pulling it down there with his injury. makes sense.

1 Like

Then we will learn he isnā€™t the guy for the job and save the program 3-4 years of finding that out the hard way lol and if J Willy isnā€™t a successful HC Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t be too tough to get him back as associate HC

Hopefully he gets a chance and succeeds but either way itā€™s better for everyone, including J Willy, for him to get head coaching experience while we still have Tony than to have him learning on the fly after TB retires

Well letā€™s take Scheyer and hell why not Hubert Davis as examples. Regardless of how ā€œbadā€ dook is this year they still are tournament worthy and would not be as bad without some of their injuries. (Man I hate standing up for dook). Towards the end, Roach Kā€™s teams began to underperform until this last Final Four year, so maybe Scheyer picked up some bad habits from that experience OR is planning on doing the opposite of what was done during that time line as a coach. This also means that maybe JWilly would do some different things as well as head coach- changes that TB may not want to do ihis systemā€¦If those changes DONā€™T work then JWilly could revert back to what he learned by coaching with TB.

Think of ANY business outside of basketball, for example if you are the son/daughter of a business owner and your parent raised you in those ranks to know the inside/outside of the company. You would then be the best person to take it over *if youā€™re trying to keep the same infrastructure and success model intact.

Hubert Davis- on the other hand has had a much higher level of variance due to some pre-existing holes in the UNC model (lack of defense and ball chuckers on the team), so that has kind of exacerbated some of the problems that theyā€™ve had, YET they made the Final Four last year, and this year they have slowly begun to turn it around.

Those are two recent examples of coaches coming in and ā€œholding serveā€ with historically relevant programs (Iā€™m not saying theyā€™re perfect)ā€¦

Anyways I got away from my point a bit. My concern is that hiring a coach coming back after a theoretically ā€œsub parā€ experience at another school would not be the splash that weā€™d hoped, versus taking over a system, school, environment, recruitment, existing coaching team that you already know.

As an example weā€™ve had previous coaches on TBā€™s staff leave and coach at other places for several years now. Would you want any of them back now to take over?

1 Like

No I wouldnā€™t want any of them back (other than McKay but he may retire before TB anyway). And I donā€™t want J Willy if heā€™s not good enough for the job either. Keeping him on staff there is no way to find out if heā€™s good enough or not. Better for him to sink elsewhere than here if heā€™s not the guy. Iā€™m not tied to Bennettā€™s style of play so I donā€™t feel the need to stay within the Bennett tree (although knowing UVA we probably will).

The scenario where he canā€™t hack it elsewhere but he would work here is plausible, but significantly less likely than him simply being good enough or not being good enough. Not a likely enough scenario to build a plan around imo. If J Willy stays here Iā€™ll be happy because the good times should continue to roll but not because I think itā€™s best for post-Bennett planning

4 Likes

Yeah I hear what youā€™re sayingā€¦I think it would work with him staying here *if he had the intangibles that TB would look for in a replacement. We have such a UNIQUE system that nobody else in the country runs, that all of the parts of the system are very valuable and hard to replace. Using existing coaches that KNOW our system would be like replacing the parts of a Lexus with Toyota componentsā€¦atleast it will work vs. a brand new car that may *not be or reliable as our Lexus.

3 Likes

Wait wait wait ā€¦ what??? Duke wasnā€™t great from 2012-2022?
5 times a 2 seed, 2 times a 1 seed, once a 3 seed and once a 4 seed ā€¦ which means they had very good regular seasons those years.
Madness:
1 Championship
1 other Final 4
3 other Elite 8ā€™s
1 other Sweet 16

Who else has been better consistently than that?