Mamadi on Wooden Watch

The great Mamadi DIAKITE is a semi-finalist for the John Wooden player of the year! The only other player from the ACC is Duke’s Tre Jones who uva will fave on Saturday. Full list:

2 Likes
3 Likes

You sure? Couldnt find any more info on this and I thought he already missed the last selection. I think your list is for Naismith Defensive Player. Correct me if Im wrong.

Either way, its a great honor and Im sure the extra publicity for our Mamadi can hurt. Really hoping there is a possibility he can go in the second round of the draft. Last I heard he was a near miss…Anyone have an update on this?

1 Like

He’s still floating in that 70 ish range at last look. That could change but it seems to be consistent. Best case scenario he sneaks into the late 2nd round like Guy or Shayok. Most likely he’ll be undrafted signing, either way he’s almost guaranteed to be sen tot the G-League to begin if he makes a roster.

4 Likes

My bad. I’m wrong. Read it wrong. Still very impressive

2 Likes

So what is the difference of being drafted in the second round by an NBA team and then playing in the G-league and going undrafted and playing in the G-league? Does everybody that gets drafted get some sort of contract with at least limited NBA time and a fatter paycheck like Kyle Guy?

1 Like

Every bit of publicity for Mamadi is a great thing. I would love to see Virginia continue to send talent to the pros. Its good for the players that have that goal, and its good for our future recruiting.

2 Likes

2nd round draft picks don’t have guaranteed money. But likely has spot on summer league roster and potential to make G League or NBA Roster. Undrafted has to jump through a few more hoops. Guy played his way into a 2-way contract which is about as ideal as you can get if you’re in the Gleague because it means you’re anchored to a NBA team and will get a few days in the league.

2 Likes

Kyle Guy signed a 2-way contract in late august. That means he spends half his time in the g-league and half in the nba. Paycheck is bigger, but the life is much harder. If you want details, and I can provide them if you want. Not every draft pick is guaranteed a contract, let alone a 2-way. Everyone is eligible for a two way no matter who you are. Honestly I know too much about this stuff, so if you have any questions feel free to ask em.

2 Likes

So Mamadi could have a chance at a 2 way contract to earn more like Guy, but Im guessing the odds of you getting one are a bit less if you go undrafted?

2 Likes

Yes Yes and yes. I could see Mamadi working his way into a 2-way player. He has a lot of the skills that teams desire. He is also older so that hurts for a guy who is still relatively new to the game. If he can crack the 2nd round of the draft his chances of success definitely increase.

3 Likes

I was just reading up on the details of g-league salaries here.
https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-player-salaries-2018-2019-season/

Do you guys know what Hunter, Jerome, and Guy make per season roughly?

1 Like

Hunter got the most being a lottery pick is in the 7mil a yr range and then scaled.
Ty was a late first rounder but it still meant he gets guaranteed money according to the scale he should fall in the 2 mil yr range.
Guy is a G -Leaguer on a 2 way so he came out with no guaranteed deal and those 2 ways are usually around 80k

2 Likes

Thanks. Was just curious. If Mamadi gets only into G-league Im sure he will consider it a blessing being from Guinea and starting to play late. $35,000 for playing only five months sounds like a dream job to me. Of course the goal is the NBA. Shoot for the stars. Wishing him the best!

3 Likes

Two way players also earn the prorated NBA minimum for the days they are with the NBA team. They can only spend 45 days with the big club. Days before and after the G-League season do not count towards the 45 days. Kyle was up until right before the G-League team started practicing with Sacramento, although not on the game day active roster. Of course he has since had a couple of extended stints with the big club as well, even though he only appeared in 2 games. The last I read a two way player who spends all 45 days with the NBA team could earn a maximum of $410,706.

4 Likes

So roughly speaking, does this mean players on a two way contract earn an additional $9000 per game they play in the nba? $410,000/45=$9,111.11

2 Likes

That’s right I forgot about 2-way players getting the prorated salary. That does change Guy’s salary. And I believe if they exceed the 45 day trial they land on the NBA salary cap at the rookie minimum or close to that.

4 Likes

The NBA minimum is something like $893k. I know the salaries are prorated based on days per roster but haven’t tried to do the calculations to determine over how many days. And I think this might be an oversimplification. I know there are deals above and below the rookie scale but I do not know exactly how all that works.

3 Likes