Mamadi & the draft

What is the latest on Mamadi and the NBA Draft? Apologies if this has been discussed.

Wishing him the best while proudly wearing my Mamadi shirt!

7 Likes

NBA draft has been postponed to October 12. Like Kyle last year, experts have Mamadi projected to go anywhere from 40-undrafted is what I’ve seen. Will be a great story to watch over the next few months with the unique circumstances this year. Excited to see what happens

4 Likes

Yup I have no idea where he will go. Have seen and heard various things from one’s I trust. Very early boarda have him undrafted. With such a long lead time into the draft a lot can happen.

2 Likes

John Hollinger of The Athletic (U.Va. alum) listed Mamadi as one of ten strong candidates for a two-way contract the other day.

2 Likes

That makes the most sense if I had to bet.

1 Like

Appreciate the info!

2 Likes

I looked at 3 mock drafts a couple of days ago and he wasn’t in those. He may end up being a 2 way player but his defense is ridiculously great and we know he can score. I believe he’s gonna find a role somewhere. I’ll never forget his defense on Veron Carey in that Duke game we won on Jay’s block. Carey was hurting us down low and Tony put Mamadi on that 6"11 270 pound guy. He completely shut him down by himself. I know Carey was a freshman but he was huge and has a great post game. Get er done Mamadi!

7 Likes

I’ve seen him projected in the late 50s a couple times (similar range to KG). I would love to see him go to Toronto at 59 because their recent track record of developing long, athletic guys into refined NBA players has been amazing. I could see him being a small-ball 5 who can catch lobs and protect the rim, along with being able to step out and hit some catch and shoot 3’s.

6 Likes

I looked at a couple of mock draft boards; I prefer the ones that are built on a consensus of very knowledgeable people’s predictions, but often the consensus is derived from opinionated Joes (such as I am) who’ve posted a mock draft board based on personal views (with a dash of team loyalties and a pinch of other personal biases).

One (Draftsite has Diakite going to Utah at the 51st spot. Another (NBADraft has him going to Charlotte at the 56th spot. Probably among the best of the mock consensus sites is the one from (don’t bother to hold your breath) the NBA, but it only goes down through the first 14 spots and, of course, Diakite doesn’t appear in that high-$$ rank.

Hey, @paperboy, I delivered papers when I was a kid–about 60 years ago. Held bags of 60-70 papers on the gooseneck handle bars of my 3-speed bike and rode my route. Thanks for the reminder!

6 Likes