McNeil or Green?

I dismissed the responses because I didn’t think they were correct. In fact, I think the responses were either delusional or dismissive of the realities of the situation. This isn’t to say McNeil won’t commit to UVa, but I think it is highly improbable. Among other things, while his offense might be well suited to Coach Bennett’s offense, there are no guarantees he would get to display his skills. I am very skeptical that Franklin would lose his starting role to him. Franklin became more comfortable as the season progressed, and he contributed in ways other than shooting. (When was the last time a new arrival displaced someone who had started for Coach Bennett for an entire year?) Being new to Coach Bennett’s defense, I think the notion that McNeil would be ahead of either Murray or McKneely is an unknown. If he wants to come to UVa as the second or third option off the bench, I think that would be fine, but I doubt that it appeals to him very much. Personally, I think he’s the shiny new toy which has fascinated certain elements in the fan base when in reality he has no more potential than the old familiar toys already in the toy box. And, looking at the rosters, I think the opportunities at Indiana do hold more potential for McNeil than those at Virginia.

Franklin played the 3 last year for uva. If McNeil comes to uva there’s a very high chance he starts at the 2 and Franklin at the 3.

3 Likes

You actually believe that Clark won’t be a starter?

1 Like

I mean we were McNeil’s first visit. Don’t need any additional evidence to know UVA is an option he is seriously considering.

3 Likes

We’ve been involved with his recruitment twice!

2 Likes

yes, if uva landed mcneil.

Losing McNeil may be a blessing if we can gain traction with Green.

1 Like

And, since he didn’t commit on his visit, there are a number of possibilities. He visited, learned some things which he didn’t like, and eliminated Virginia. Or, he visited and the staff learned some things they didn’t like and they quit recruiting him. Some combination of both. Regardless, he left and committed to Ohio State. I was wrong. I thought it would be Louisville or Indiana, but I never saw the appeal of Virginia for him.

I am hoping for another transfer but he was not at the top of my list.

1 Like

Right now, I would just as soon the staff focus their attention and efforts on 2023 recruits. Presumably, a primary ball handler is a priority. I imagine a center or power forward is desirable, too. Perhaps, both. As of now, there are twelve scholarship players on the roster. There are no gaping holes going into next season. At least, none that a transfer could fill. (As of now, there is the age old question, “Why would Virginia want a transfer who would be willing to join this roster?”) I hope everyone moves forward and plays the hand that’s been dealt!

1 Like