McNeil or Green?

This could get interesting! First Wright retires and now Cincinnati trip is cancelled!

2 Likes

You know we’ve got a thread discussion this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who would fit better? Green because of his pg skills. But he’s going to Iowa State and McNeil is far from a guarantee for us

1 Like

I’m still holding out hope Green’s not just looking to reunite with his Pops at Iowa St. Hell he already spent 3 years with him at UNI before this past season without him.

2 Likes

I mean you take Green over McNeil 10 times out of 10 if given the chance. But I don’t think you slow play McNeil for the slight chance to get Green. Not when Green’s dad is on staff at another power conference school.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be quick to write off Green! What a compliment to Reece he would be!

2 Likes

Any reason behind that

Yeah I mean based on nothing other than his dad being at ISU I’d put our chances of landing green at <5%

1 Like

None. Chief is optimists

ISU mod said something like chances between 99-101%. Lol

2 Likes

Thought it was a poster

Maybe he gets into a argument with his dad and commits to us out of spite? That’s about our only chance

2 Likes

Just a couple of small questions:
Has Virginia even extended a scholarship offer to Green? Has he been for a visit, or is one scheduled? Is there any legitimate mutual interest or is this just some wishful thinking of those with too much time on their hands? I really have no idea.
Given that the current roster already possesses Franklin, Murray, McKneely, Dunn, and Bond at his likely position, what attraction does Virginia hold for McNeil? Other than the cache of holding an offer from a recent national champion? Louisville and Indiana are also recruiting him, and both can offer him a pretty clear path to early playing time, and both are much closer to home.

From my less than informed perspective, neither of these prospects seem a likely commit to UVa.

Why would McNeil be worried about any of those guys? 3 of them haven’t played a second of college ball, one barely played at all last year on a team that desperately needed shooting, and the other can’t shoot 3s.

3 Likes

Second this. Even though im not the hugest fan of adding McNeil with McKneely, I dont think McNeil is scared of competition. If it’s not us its cause of the home factor or NIL or something

2 Likes

The point is: why would he go someplace where the path to early playing time is congested, regardless of how serious those obstacles are, when he has other options where the playing time is virtually assured? It is also worth noting that McNeil’s three point percentage last season at WVU was worse than Franklin’s was his last year at Indiana (36.8% vs. 42.4%). There are no guarantees. Also, over the last ten games of this past season, Franklin was 19 for 45 (42.22%) from behind the arc. In those same ten games, when he had more than three attempts from three, he shot 51.52%. The assumption that McNeil would be an immediate upgrade to Franklin is speculative, at best. In fact, his three point shooting was only a couple of points better than Clark’s.

3 Likes

Because he’s seen what Tony’s offense can do with similar players. Tony’s offense is perfect for a player like him and he’ll learn to play defense. McNeil has consistently been a mid 30% three point shooter. Franklin had one great and one bad season before UVa

4 Likes

Kihei has a set shot that looks like he’s throwing a medicine ball at the rim. Teams sag off of him and he can’t really shoot running off screens (at least not effectively). The two aren’t comparable at all really.

2 Likes

You asked the question and received answers tht were all correct btw then you want to dismiss them? Louisville is the only school mentioned with the lots of PT. iU has a full roster at moment, not a guarantee starting spot there by far. Also, as mentioned, he fits sides and blocker lover to a t. Might also be a big plus playing with a pg like Beekman as opposed to who the hell knows at Louisville in a brand new system with a brand new coach. As said if hw goes to Louisville it will be for reasons beyond basketball. We are the best basketball option.

2 Likes

We don’t really publicly ‘offer’ transfers. Not in the same sense we offer high school recruits. It’s more of a let’s get them on a visit and feel each other out kind of process. If Green takes visits and we still have an open scholarship I’m sure we’ll try to get him in for one. But he might not even take visits with his dad on staff at Iowa State.

1 Like

Looking raw, I prefer Green. But the thing that I think is hard is McNeil did it in a P5 conference against similar levels of competition. Green did not. Harder to project Green (more Beta). McNeil probably more clear what you are getting.

I remember UNC got those two mid-major transfers a couple years ago and they could not adjust to the speed of the game.

Ja Morant obviously could have played anywhere in hindsight and Kellan Grady from Kentucky looked like he belonged. So you never know with folks trading up.

2 Likes