Mental Health questions? We have an expert to refer to

Michael Huber a friend of @DFresh11 and Sports Psychologist is going to jump in with some content. If anyone has questions or topics they want to discuss…Ask away. His first article is Coronavirus and Sports Shutdown: How Will We Cope? - Locker Room Access

7 Likes

This is a great read everyone. Try and spend 5 minutes and read my man Hubes take from mental health/ awareness perspective

2 Likes

Great read. I’ve always thought this was terrible for the athletes but being the selfish fan that I am I didnt think about how tough this really is. I guess it destroyed a lot of dreams and took away the last chance to be on the big stage for thousands of them. Thanks for putting a light on it . My perspective as a fan has changed some as I realize that we are a lot better off than many. One question for you. What do you think of seniors coming back to play next year as has been suggested?

This is an awesome write up. I love looking at the mental aspect of sports. When I first went into coaching I began working a sports psychologist and it helped me define culture etc. It was also a massive help for me as I transferred from athlete to retired. Great stuff Hubes

You two would have awesome discussion Dragon. brothers from a different moms style

1 Like

No doubt I’m a sucker for that stuff. I believe those factors make or break great teams and individuals.

1 Like

ahead of the game man. I took Bob Rottelas class as a first year and Rick Carlisle was back on Grounds taking it with us. Really interesting stuff but I was too young to really get it then! B- or C+ Life

2 Likes

Ha no doubt. I remember having some conversations like that with coaches and mentors when I was in college and right after but I wasn’t ready to hear it. Now I eat sleep breathe it even in my professional life.

Live and learn man. If we knew then what we know now!

Is funny because in HS and college I thought I knew how to work on my game. You really dont know until you are around 24 or 25.

2 Likes

Very very well said. I dont think I really locked everything in until I was in my mid-late 20s Especially when it came to bringing in the mental aspect understanding the importance of diet and training. Before that I worked hard but I didn’t work smart.

1 Like

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect: Don Meyer David Lipscomb College

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. To be fair, fans are experiencing a loss too, but the consequences are greater for the athletes. For UVA fans, this year could be particularly trying because the hoops team was playing great ball at the end and they are defending champs. Nevertheless, the seniors definitely are faced with a unique and difficult situation that might be hard for many of us to understand. As for seniors coming back, initially I was all for it. It seems like a no-brainer. Then, I spoke to one of my clients who is a D1 baseball commit and he is concerned it will hurt his ability to get on the field as a freshman, which I think is a valid concern for all underclassmen. It is an unintended consequence of extending another year of eligibility. The question is whether giving seniors another year is more important that impeding younger plays path? I think that one’s above my pay grade, unfortunately. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Thank you, B. I appreciate it. What I find is that athletes are pretty open-minded to anything that helps them get an edge, to get better. The stigma associated with mental training is much less thankfully. I am strictly a performance coach, not clinical, so it’s really about building the skills to compete and endure. Interestingly, many athletes just like having someone to talk to that is not a traditional coach or parent. Being a good, empathic listener is one of the biggest parts of the job.

3 Likes

Yup my by Brian does the same. He was my guy and totally changed my game up. Really helped me to unlock some things and most importantly got me to look inward and examine myself

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. This aspect of the game is probably the most overlooked. I’m looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this topic

2 Likes

I love to hear this. That is great. Thanks for taking the time read my post and respond thoughtfully. Stay safe and healthy.

3 Likes

That was excellent. Your should post that article on social media. GOOD STUFF.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I told Fresh I’m really impressed about how cool and thoughtful the LRA crew is. I have posted to social media. You can find me at:

Twitter: mh4375
Instagram: michaelvhuber + ftbperformancecoaching
LinkedIn: mvhuber

3 Likes

More feedback from former Uva soccer legend who knows a thing or 3 about National Championships

This was a VERY powerful piece. Really struck a cord with me. Can’t imagine what that would have been like for a coach to walk in and say, “our season is over.” Especially that early in the coronavirus because no one realized how bad it was going to be…they had no context to it.

4 Likes

Tom Henske

1 Like