💰 Name-Image-Likeness (NIL) Discussion

Was that the Sports Junkies’ station? Nah, that would’ve been best-case scenario. Those Terps came in pretty clear. I think it was like 570 or something like that. It was so random, too (or maybe I just had a terrible car radio in my '84 Camry). It would fade in and out as I drove. I used to live near the Masonic Temple, right on the edge of Old Town. It would never come in there, but I think the further south I drove, it would come in.

Clearly I had an active social life post-college!

1 Like

Aj yes it was 570 with the Junkies. 980 had Kornheiser and the caps and zards before the fan came in.

Yes i know way too much about DC sports talk radio.

If you were rolling down King St. On a Friday night in the mid Aughts you likely saw a young dragon in full effect

3 Likes

Republicans have been cutting the IRS budget for 15 years now. Audit rates are hovering near historical lows. There’s no resources for the IRS to launch such a campaign.

Solving that problem is the reason Marc Cuban became a billionaire.

1 Like

This is one of the most naive statements i have ever heard. Rules? There is virtually no way to police this. I can assure you that in the near future a free education will take a back seat to NIL for 90% of highly rated recruits. Combine that with the portal and the end product will be money driven. What could possibly go wrong …

NIL does not work if nobody is watching.

Who are the biggest financial names connected to UVA, and what is stopping them from offering $1 million play money for a player to sponsor their financial institution or what not on twitter?

The concept of return on investment

4 Likes

If it’s a billionaire though it’s just play money.

Most billionaires I know don’t just throw money away (ie spend it on what you want them to spend it on)

2 Likes

This is exactly right

Must be some fun boat parties!

would also argue most billionaires think is the wrong signal to send to a kid

3 Likes

2 Likes

Baylor in the past ain’t so innocent either.

1 Like

Does this include the murder and cover-up? If it does, then it easily explains the ranking.

1 Like

This is all here and growing. Players will increasingly factor earnings potential into their recruiting decisions. We either need to get with the program or slip into irrelevancy.

We have billionaires too. We have major corporations in the UVa footprint. We have smart people in and around the University who could put together a compelling NIL ecosystem. Heck we have one of the top business schools that could help. But google “NIL UVa” and all you get is that Darden profs handbook that he randomly did, one little marketing agency, and a bunch of news articles that amount to “UVa is thinking really hard about it.” Other schools are far more organized.

My worry is that everyone (or most everyone) at UVa that would factor into making this work is too busy clutching their pearls and wishing for the good ol days. By the time we get our shit together, most other schools will have lapped us a few times, losing recruits/transfers along the way and falling even further behind.

5 Likes

VAF is having a hard enough time raising money.
I’m guessing one concern is that there are only X dollars to support UVA and so NIL will eat into what’s already existing.

Can you incrementally raise money for NIL only deals? Why wouldn’t VAF just want those deals for themselves?

3 Likes

Never thought of it that way buy why would any school’s foundation support an NIL fund? It’s taking money out of their pocket and tagging it for a specific use that doesn’t benefit the school from an institutional standpoint.

Not that I’m agaisnt NIL but that’s anwrinkle i had not considered

NIL is definitely going to hurt donations, not only for us, but for everyone. People donate to VAF for various reasons, better tickets, better parking, access to donor events. Donate enough and maybe you get more access to players or coaches.

Well, if you skip the middleman and pay the players directly, you get whatever level of access you can buy.

Also, with the tax deduction to athletic booster “charities” significant reduced, now if you own a business, you can get a full business tax deduction for any NIL money paid out. That’s basically a 20% government subsidy.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Businesswse NIL makes more sense. I wonder how all this will affect overall bottomlines.

I know I’m looking into the best options to get the proverbial bang for my buck. Not just for what I get but for what the kids get

1 Like