šŸ’° Name-Image-Likeness (NIL) Discussion

Linked several recent posts concerning NIL to start the threadā€¦

5 Likes

So this is where NIL will really start generating a lot of discussion on stories like thisā€¦

If you are repping the schoolā€™s local pizza joint while playing a sport, getting paid to model or from residuals on jersey sales, that is one thing, but for someone to overtly (not quietly) recruit using $s with or without the schoolā€™s knowledgeā€¦ now that changes the college recruiting paradigm.

5 Likes

It will be impermissible as the payments cannot be an inducement or pay to play scenario. People can offer it, but the rules donā€™t allow for it and I have no idea how u enforce it.

4 Likes

There is a rumor that Texas A&M boosters banded together to fund $25-30M of NIL payments for football (they have 3 of the top 5 recruits and are favored for a 4th). Completely different landscape.

2 Likes

I feel like the NCAA is going to have punish someone over ā€œinducementā€ before anyone takes that seriously.

Also, it would hard to prove something was an inducement vs. just a bad marketing decision. Companies waste money on advertising all the time. And since the NCAA doesnā€™t have subpoena power, unless folks are putting out press releases that they paid money to Player X for the sole purpose of inducing him to come to Big State, there wonā€™t be much enforcement is my guess.

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean thatā€™s why the NCAA basically spends its time punishing things like text messages or GAā€™s practicing with the team. Itā€™s all low level stuff and I think a lot of self-reporting (almost no Self reporting, short of the FBI getting involved).

Iā€™d expect the IRS to be punishing people before the NCAA does. These players are gonna soon learn how much tax gets taken out of ā€œincomeā€ and are gonna look for loopholes to avoid or just not declare it in future years. Maybe some big IRS investigation will then put pressure on NCAA to clean the mess up.

1 Like

Yeah this is the problem right now. The NCAA handed off all policing to schools and conferences. Thereā€™s unequal enforcement. While there are great legitimate NIL opportunities for players, itā€™s typically small potatoes for all but a select few. Itā€™s mostly being used to pay for play. More a football issue for now but is bound to spill over into hoops soon.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also worried a kid is going get $100k from booster shell company that isnā€™t withholding, spend it all/give it away to friends and family, then not have anything left when the IRS comes asking for $30k. Maybe heā€™s already injured at that point and NIL booster well has dried up. Hopefully schools have taught kids how this all works.

3 Likes

I think the chance of this happening is around 100%, unfortunately.

2 Likes

London Johnson in a Duke uniform, brought to you by Disney and its subsidiaries!

3 Likes

I guess I donā€™t understand why this is a concern? Unless you worry about the tax status of every high earning young person? If an 18 year old non-athlete makes a million off of Tik Tok they have to navigate filing taxes too. No reason college athletes canā€™t figure out how to use turbo tax or hire an accountant like other high income young adults. Certainly not a reason to restrict student athlete earning potential.

4 Likes

Agree. I donā€™t see any reason why the number of tax mistakes or cheats would be any worse among that cohort than most other cohorts. If anything, youā€™d think/hope that schools are giving out decent advice on this stuff.

2 Likes

I have complete trust in the NCAA to handle this fairly and maintain a level playing field.

I also feel bad for the NCAA. No one saw this abuse of NIL coming.

6 Likes

It is just the beginning of the wild new era of college football - and likely other college sports as well. Transfer portal combined with NIL will make for some crazy scenarios - and the sport(s) that we love will never be quite the same.
I am and old guy that finds change more and more difficult to deal with. Loved the 8 team ACC - but now I donā€™t even know what the leagueā€™s membership count isā€¦
While I have been a life long sports fan - I am beginning to wonder where our societal priorities really are -when I see all the money that is involved in ā€˜non-professionalā€™ (??) sports - from facilities, coaches/administration/ athletes (do we dare call them ā€˜student athletesā€™ any longer?) and everything that goes along with it - just mind blowing for meā€¦

2 Likes

The biggest change is TV money. When I first graduated and lived in Alexandria (early aughts), I remember driving around randomly trying to get the right AM radio signal just so I could hear Mac McDonald do a bad job of describing what he was seeing. And that was regular season ACC games!

Now, I am put out when I canā€™t see the Coppin St at the normal time because YES has decided to delay the broadcast.

Thatā€™s what I think is the biggest change in money flowing through the sport.

But is there anyone else who doesnā€™t want THIS tradeoff? If so, then you go drive around NoVa and try to figure out what Mac is blabbing about! I will be on my couch watching hoops and laughing at these NIL stories, b/c they are kind of amusing.

6 Likes

You were listening to SportsTalk 980 trying to get a signal too? I was trooping through Alexandria in that same time.

Anyways, youā€™re right the TV money is crazy, everyone is spending out the a$$ to get content and leagues are making bank and I for one am glad the kids are getting a chance to get a piece.

Yes it may be ugly and some kids are going to screw up. But guess what? Thatā€™s happening anyways. Also if Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly can jump ship for more money and itā€™s all good, then why canā€™t Caleb Williams?

3 Likes

I was just thinking about how much TV revenue money there is today when I was reading about the new USFL coming this summer. A second tier football leagueā€¦ which none have been successfulā€¦ since the NFL/AFL mergerā€¦ already has a TV deal where ALL 43 games will be broadcast across FOX & NBC family channelsā€¦ plus streaming! This is a league that will eventually fail, yet will have EVERY game broadcast.

I remember being in Spain for the summers growing up trying to follow the Phillies and possibly finding a newspaper that had the score from 4 days agoā€¦ not a box score, just the score, and then Iā€™d have to try and reconstruct the standings in my head from two other scores they gave me.

2 Likes