šŸ’° Name-Image-Likeness (NIL) Discussion

Working as an ED of a non-profit, itā€™s on the Secretary of Stateā€™s website, too. In both our cases, Iā€™m guessing fewer than 10 people a year view it. In my case this includes people job hunting trying to use it as salary negotiating starting point, then immediately hoping a prospective employer doesnā€™t see it, too :rofl:

3 Likes

I just read that EA Sports is doing a college football game for 2024 for the first time since 2014 (the Oā€™Bannon case). Players will opt in to the game. Revenue distributions to players is TBD.

3 Likes

I just read that Dragon bout to lose a chunk of his 2024 to EA sportsā€¦

8 Likes

Can we get College Hoops 2K back? NBA 2K has messed around a little with putting some college branding in their game in very limited ways, but letā€™s get the players paid and our college bball video games back.

1 Like
2 Likes

And so it starts.

2 Likes

The beginning of the end is near

3 Likes

So the OG :moneybag::moneybag: schools are going to exploit every loophole while cleveland state is going to get the death penalty for mis-designating a booster

1 Like

Yeah if the ncaa is the regulatory body. Which it isnā€™t.

Honestly this is the only way thereā€™s a chance of competent regulation. Needs to have a solid mandate, some teeth, and be staffed well. Very possible.

All I care is enforcement, getting rid of obvious pay for play masked as NIL. The NCAA sure isnā€™t going to do it on its own. But I donā€™t know that a federal committee would be anything more than another layer of bureaucracy. Would they even have the authority to issue punishments? Iā€™m guessing only make recommendations, which puts us right back where we are. Theyā€™d just be farming out investigations.

4 Likes

I think for all of us just wait and see on this. No way to speculate. Atleast for me cause I could speculate big time hahahah

4 Likes

Great point the feds would have to jump through some hoops to add bite to their bark

2 Likes

Yeah. but at minimum you will have smart people wrestling with how to give it teeth.

Thereā€™s some carrots and sticks policymakers can use for higher education institutions, either through policy channels or grant making, just by way of creative example.

Still lots of caution warranted but more promise than NCAA.

1 Like

Yes because when I think of competent rule making body I think of the United States Congress

4 Likes

I think any optimism expressed is probably more a condemnation of the NCAA than a commendation of the government. Basically US can incent, compel, and enforce in ways the NCAA canā€™t. Having more tools is, on the whole, an improvement.

The irony is that the US is stepping in now because of outcomes from the last time it stepped in on the matter. Probably the point you are making.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Love it. Do it your way Tony.

Also some confirmation from Traudt that his defense wasnā€™t good enough and he wouldā€™ve likely left anyway for his girlfriend.

3 Likes

The quotes from recent transfers will probably grab attention, but one takeaway for me is that TB isnā€™t talking like someone who is souring on college coaching in the NIL and portal eras. Maybe this is just his default, but he sounds like heā€™s thinking heā€™s got something to prove about his way of doing things now.

7 Likes

I agree. Though I also read it (and several other comments in other articles) that if it doesnā€™t work and people keep leaving (especially important ones), that heā€™s going to say ā€œIm out of hereā€. I dont think heā€™s going to change his philosophy. Either it works in this era and he stays and coaches or it doesnā€™t and heā€™s gone.

He definitely wants to see if it can work though.

3 Likes

TB succinct on Traudt leaving ā€œthat one hurt. We passed on some real good players (for him)ā€

6 Likes